Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!!!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hey everyone! Just have a quick question. The other day I was driving home on a state route where the speed limit was 50mph. I was going about 45 with a cop following me very closely. A school bus approached me and turned on the yellow lights so I slowed down as much as I could. A few seconds after the yellow lights were flashing, they turned on the red lights to indicate that they were going stop. There was absolutely no way I could stop without having the cop rear end me so I just slowed down as much as I could. I got pulled over and got a ticket for "passing a stopped school bus". I have to go to court :( I looked up the possible punishments and one of them is jail time for a first offense. The others were a fine and loss of driver's liscense. I'm freaking out because my husband is deployed so I would be screwed if I got put in jail. Has anyone else gotten a ticket for this? If so, what was the punishment when you went to court? I know it is a 5 point violation and my insurance will go up :(

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jen113000
by Jenna on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I'm sorry, I have no idea but good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

EpicMom1981
by Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Uggh. That's a nightmare. 
I would try really hard not to worry too much about going to jail. I think that's unlikely. This happened to a friend of mine, actually a similar situation. She went to court and argued that with the high speed limit, the bus lights didn't go on soon enough for her to safely come to a stop. I think that they dropped it down to a careless driving charge (I think), she paid a big fine, but only 2 or 3 points (I think..) and she took an online defensive driving course right away to get rid of some points. 
She had a clear driving record before that..which I'm sure helped her.
I'm guessing that if you go to court and you don't have a lot of other traffic offenses on your record, it won't be too bad... *fingers crossed for you*

bhwrn1
by Brooke on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I've never gotten a ticket like that. I hope it works out.

ceciliam
by Lynn on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I have no experience with that. I would imagine if you have a clean record, you will not have to worry about jail time. Good luck.

anglgrl03
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Thanks for the help, ladies! I have only gotten one ticket in my life and that was over 5 years ago. I just hate not knowing what is going to happen. I would never do anything to intentionally harm a child and in the split second I had to make a decision, I decided that it was best to slow down as much as I could without causing an accident. Guess we will see what the judge says in a couple weeks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)