Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Jersey Moms New Jersey Moms

Looking for a good daycare around Edison/Piscataway/Metuchen area

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:12 AM
  • 4 Replies

My son is 19 months old and I want to put him in part time daycare and open my work options.

I'm having a very hard time finding good reviews. As well, daycare is so expensive!! Still, does anyone have any good reviews of any daycares in and around Piscataway/Edison/Metuchen area? I got real excited when I saw that a Metuchen child care center I checked out had 2008 and 2010 "best daycare" from nj monthly but then found one review online that said that as of Feb.2012 the new director that took over the place is not the same and there are many unhappy parents having pulled their kids out !!  How can someone have those plaques on their wall when it has nothing to do with them?! It is no longer "family run". 

I need daycare by 5/14... 3 days a week to start... 6 hrs a day. Looking for some people that can advise me in a good direction. I will pay more but let's be reasonable... NJ is expensive !!

Some places base their rates on a 6:30am-7pm day! 

Can I get some NJ moms imput here? Much appreciated... i'm slightly desperate as I have not found any decent sites discussing their experiences and suggestions. 

This is my first and only child. 

Please.. can you moms out there help me out ??!! I need info and rates and reviews!!

by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ceciliam
by Lynn on May. 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I'm not from that area, so I don't know. Good luck with your search.

njdouladenise
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:44 AM
I had my son at Lil big ones in south Plainfield and loved it. Very family feel.
Some people sy good things about ken shirk child care in Edison jn old post road but I don't know personally.
Day care is very expensive in this area!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jersey_class
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:49 AM
To help w| expence you can sign up for "programs for parents" they may pay for a chunk of the cost of day.

I live in Nutley (essex county) and it's nearly 400 a week for fulltime -_- .

Idk any personal daycares my son is in special ed pre-k thru the public school. But certainly look into programs for parents to help with payment! Best of luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weimj396
by New Member on May. 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I agree... daycare is VERY EXPENSIVE in this area! I think I did research on daycare costs and it came up that New Jersey and surrounding states have the highest daycare costs across the country. Six years ago, albeit in Canada, my sister paid $25 a day for full time daycare. Lucky!!! Here... $65/day, and that's the low end!!

I chose LIttle Genius Academy based on a recommendation from coworkers and the owner at Plaza Child Care. Wanted Plaza but too far away due to traffic as well there was a 1 1/2 month wait.  I was a bit shy based on the bad reviews on yahoo local but.. i understand why people don't like the owner... she's a strong, dedicated, hard-headed woman. Not all people can handle people like that. My own manager is like her and a lot of people don't like her. She has a strong work ethic and you have to prove yourself to her to gain respect. I understand that because I am also just like them.

It's more expensive than a few places but it's still "middle of the road" compaired to the big box companies. One place quoted me $300/wk for 3 days a week... that's $1200 a month!!

The place i'm going? $745/month until he's walking then $645/month once he's fully walking. That's good and competitive. One place quoted me at $975/month!! Outrageous, I'd say!! 

You really gotta do your homework.. ask around, check reviews, etc.

He starts Monday. Have my fingers crossed it all works out!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)