Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Jersey Moms New Jersey Moms

Hi! I'm new here.

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM
  • 13 Replies

So we do not officially live in NJ yet, but the decision is made as my grandmother needs us to care for her. We will be living in the Union City or Jersey City area. Any tips for me. We are originally from the Bronx, but will be moving there from Albany, NY. I am not liking the prices in rent LOL. Groceries are pretty pricey too and what are good sites for NJ job search?

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jerzeetomato
by Melissa on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!  Try Indeed.com for searching jobs specific to the zip code you are considering.  Good luck with your move!

jen113000
by Jenna on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome! I know nothing about that area though.

DylansMom1207
by Renee on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Welcome!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:26 PM
Thanks for the welcome, ladies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Lynn on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Hi! Welcome to the group.

I'm not too familiar with the Jersey City and Union City area.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband's grandfather came from Albany...as did my beloved dog..  =)   I KNOW!!! Everything is stupidly expensive in NJ...but what a wonderful thing you are doing for your grandmom!

Welcome to NJ and to our group! I love it here and can't seem to stay away!

Im a SAHM so Im not the best person to ask about jobs...    =P

bhwrn1
by Brooke on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Welcome!

Ms.KitKat
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Those are pretty urban areas so if you like urban, you'll be fine. Jersey City is trendy with folks who work in NYC so that's prob why the prices are high there. I'm not too sure it's very family friendly though- for that you would need to go to the suburbs. I wish you well in your move!

acrogodess
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Grandma has lived in the Jersey City, Union City, North Bergen area for the past 20+ yrs. The doc and therapist feel that moving her away from what she knows will hasten her decline. Plus neither s/o or I have a license or car. We are trying to stay central to public transportation and jobs. :-(

I don't really like the area as I moved upstate from the Bronx to get away from that environment, but grandma has no one else.

Thanks for the insight and suggestions though. Appreciate it

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Those are pretty urban areas so if you like urban, you'll be fine. Jersey City is trendy with folks who work in NYC so that's prob why the prices are high there. I'm not too sure it's very family friendly though- for that you would need to go to the suburbs. I wish you well in your move!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.KitKat
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:46 PM

of course you need to keep grandma put! I hope you don;t think I was suggesting otherwise- just trying to describe the area a bit for you. It sounds like it will be a pefect fit for you! Plenty of public transportation- easy commute into the city.

Quoting acrogodess:

Grandma has lived in the Jersey City, Union City, North Bergen area for the past 20+ yrs. The doc and therapist feel that moving her away from what she knows will hasten her decline. Plus neither s/o or I have a license or car. We are trying to stay central to public transportation and jobs. :-(

I don't really like the area as I moved upstate from the Bronx to get away from that environment, but grandma has no one else.

Thanks for the insight and suggestions though. Appreciate it

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN