Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Jersey Moms New Jersey Moms

Special Education & Related Services of NJ

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have an autistic child and so she receives special education services including occupational, physical and speech services. How are the special education and related services of NJ? How do they work, do you have to get them done in the school or can you also take your child to an outside provider? I live in NY and here the IEP teams are jerks and make you fight for everything. But the services are good, just a fight to get them to do whats right for your kid! How are the IEP teams in NJ? Are they difficult to work with?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LoriAnn87
by Emerald Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I live in South Jersey and my son's IEP team and case worker are wonderful but also the special education here is really great. My son goes to special ed preschool and there he gets speech, pt and ot once a week. He has been going to special ed preschool since he was 3 and we were recommed by early childhood to go to the special ed preschool located in one of our elemtray school. My son is doing so great that when Sept comes he will not need speech, pt or ot anymore he will be able to go to regualr kindgerant class. We went though the school district to get my son the help he need and they were very helpful with us getting my son the help he needs. After he is done special ed they will still contuie to keep in touch with us.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:36 AM

I have an 11 year old autistic son, so I know what you're going thru! I think it depends on each school district, because I hear the stuggles and the praises of different ones thruout NJ. Ours is far from the top of the list and I have refused most of the services for my son because the people were far from professional and really were only there to collect their big paycheck. One was such a monster I told her off at our IEP meeting and then got hugs and high fives from the other teachers! I still growl at her when she walks by LOLOL!! I also wanted him to have as much time being mainstreamed in the classroom as possible...they would take him out at the most inconvienient times (LIKE MATH!!!) and he was falling farther behind and not progressing at all in certain therapies.

CST people are hard to deal with sometimes...mine have been pretty awesome and we have a good relationship. They can be very intimidating and they think you'll back down before you fight with them because they're the "experts". They skirt around the laws and find loopholes so they don't have to work too hard. They HAVE to give your daughter services because she's classified autistic, but if you aren;t happy with them, you should certainly look into other options. Insurance should pay for that so check into it!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:42 AM

There's a terrific autism group on here!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/112775

lfig720
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:41 AM

I'm in Hudson County, my son is only a little over 2 years, but so far I haven't had to struggle to get him his services.  I hope it's the same when he has to transition to school.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:03 AM

If he's already got a doctor's diagnosis and is receiving servics thru the state, you honestly shouldn't have a problem at all! I don't know how Hudson County operates but they should jus take over by giving him the same services thru school therapists.

My son has a 1:1 aide and that was NOT easy to get...did that completely on my own but I know it helped a million fold to have his doctor's recommendations and me running off whatever pertained to him here...

http://www.state.nj.us/education/

Quoting lfig720:

I'm in Hudson County, my son is only a little over 2 years, but so far I haven't had to struggle to get him his services.  I hope it's the same when he has to transition to school.

Myspace Comments

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)