Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jersey City moms, please help

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:07 AM
  • 23 Replies
Hi, I am Lissette. I am relatively new to the group. We are in the process of moving here from Albany NY. I am here already with my grandmother who I have to care and is wheelchair bound. My kids dad already has a job in the area and will start next Monday. My grandma has a steady income. I need to locate a first floor (or elevator building) apartment, three bedroom, accepts pets (cats and dogs) for the 5 of us. It will be two working adults, grandma, and two children who are used to sharing a room. We can afford $1250 tops a month, at the moment and prefer no brokers fees. The sooner we can get the apartment, the sooner I can find a job. Please, anyone know a landlord? We really need the help and some of these Craigslist ads seem shady. I've gotten tons of responses from Nigerian scams.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
acrogodess
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Thanks for featuring my post. Hope someone can help. I have until the 31st of March to get grandma out of the senior complex she lives in and I really miss my kids. :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen113000
by Jenna on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Sorry I have no idea about that area. Good luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Lynn on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Not sure if this one is pet friendly and it's a bit above your budget......

http://www.trulia.com/rental/3108012224-126-Charles-St-2-Jersey-City-NJ-07307

ceciliam
by Lynn on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Here's another one but it doesn't say floor level or if there is elevators. No broker fee, though.

http://www.trulia.com/rental/3095801878-15-Skyline-Dr-2-Jersey-City-NJ-07305

ceciliam
by Lynn on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Here are a bunch more to check out. Good luck with your search! :)

http://www.trulia.com/for_rent/Jersey_City,NJ/1p_baths/3p_beds/cats_pets/1000-1300_price/

michellejenner
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly you are probably better off using a realtor. They do all the legwork for you. There are many shady landlords out there and you don't know who you are renting from if you go on your own. When a homeowner lists with a realtor they also want to be sure they get good people too. You let the realtor know what you are looking for and they do the searching. It's how they make their living so they want to find you a place.

parts of jersey city are pretty bad with crime and drugs as well.

acrogodess
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Thanks for the suggestion
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michellejenner
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I worked in JC before my son was born. My office was on the waterfront. But when work ended pretty much everyone went home. No one really hung around.

acrogodess
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I don't like the area, but grandma has been here the past 20 yrs and is in the beginning stages of dementia. The doctor recommends keeping her in a familiar environment especially with going from living alone to living with a family with pets.

Quoting michellejenner:

I worked in JC before my son was born. My office was on the waterfront. But when work ended pretty much everyone went home. No one really hung around.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jerzeetomato
by Melissa on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:03 AM

I am not from the area at all so I can't offer any help, but wanted to wish you luck.  It's hard caring for an elderly parent/grandparent, and you are doing a wonderful thing.  Craiglist can be awful - you just have to weed through all the BS until you find a legitimate ad.  Have you tried nj.com?  you can search classifieds by city/county.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)