Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New car seat laws

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:54 PM
  • 7 Replies

Thought i would post this. This is hell for Daycare providers! I will highlight the really important parts. This law went into effect this month. I believe this is for Ny only, I didn't see a nation wide arena for this law.

• Is required for all children until their 8th birthday as of November 24, 2009,. (Prior to November 24, 2009, the requirement applies to children until their 7th birthday), and
  • Must meet the size and weight requirements for the child based on the Federal requirements and the recommendations of the manufacturer, and
  • Can be a child safety seat, a harness, a vest or a booster seat attached with the vehicle seat belt system, but not the vehicle seat belt alone, and
  • Should not be used in the front seat of the vehicle.
  •  

Every child under age 16 in the vehicle must use a safety restraint. If under age four, he or she must be properly secured in a federally-approved child safety seat that is attached to a vehicle by a safety belt or universal child restraint anchorage (LATCH) system. A child under age four who weighs more than 40 pounds may be restrained in a booster seat with a lap and shoulder belt. A child of age 4, 5, 6 or 7, must use a booster seat with lap and shoulder belt or a child safety seat (The child and safety restraint system must meet the height and weight recommendations of the restraint manufacturer.)

Exception: A child more than four feet nine inches tall or more than 100 pounds is allowed to use a seat belt that has both a lap belt and a shoulder harness. To use the seat belt, the child must be able to sit straight up against the vehicle's seat back with his or her knees bent comfortably over the edge of the seat. The lap belt should be placed low and tight across the upper thighs; the shoulder belt should rest tightly but comfortably across the child's chest and shoulder (collar bone) without touching the throat. If the seat belt does not fit properly, the child should use a booster seat with a lap and shoulder belt.

A booster seat can be used only with a lap and shoulder belt together. If all the combination lap and shoulder belt positions in the vehicle are already occupied by children using child safety seats or booster seats, a child who ordinarily would use a booster seat should be restrained using only the lap belt.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:54 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-7):
    JulyBabies
    by Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Good to know, thanks for posting.

krisa
    by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:44 PM

I am so glad you posted this as well. I was just involved in a car accident, i was a passenger and my son was in his car seat. Someone went through a stop sign and hit us on the side in the back of the car the car spun and it was by far the scariest thing i have ever experienced. Thank God my son was in a car seat with a 5 point harness! He is 4 and a half and weighs about 47 pounds he is big enough for a booster seat but i will not put him in one unless it has a 5 point harness seat belt! I am so sore and i was wearing a seat belt imagine a child! I keep asking my son does anything hurt but thank God he was unharmed!  Ladies dont think your child is to old for a car seat with a 5 point harness they make them to fit kids up to 100 pounds i know it isnt cool looking,or it may be to big or bulky but it saves lives what is more important!!! I just got a new one to accommodate my son size and weight and once he weighs 65lbs it becomes a booster seat. In my personal opinion i think this is an appropriate size to be wearing a seat belt not at 4 yrs old. I'm no expert but when my son was three he met the weight requirement for a booster and i was going to buy him one and then by the grace of God I was sent an email here on cafe mom with a link-video about a little boy who was 4 and died in a minor car  accident because he was thrown from his booster seat, i cried through the whole thing! His sister who was using the same exact seat but she was about  6 or 7 yrs old was not injured! Watching that video over a yr ago was God sent because it most definitely saved my sons life today!!!! Sorry to drag this on and on but it is definitely a message you want to share with others in hopes it can prevent a loss that should of never happened! They really need to change the required weight on those booster seats!

j.a.n
    by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 6:41 AM

i had a problem with this..my youngest is going to be 13 and had to use a booster for the longest time..because of the wieght restricitions.she just now she tips the scale at 100pds..and teeters back down to 97...but i use a reagular seatbelt but had to by the extensions to put on the seat belt it came right across her neck.. 

lady-J-Rock
    by Niki on Dec. 2, 2009 at 5:37 PM

My daughter Hannah was so mad when I told her, she said no Im seven I dont have to .So I gave  her the newspaper. I kept her booster seat around just in case we needed it. Good thing we did.

Sugar2009
    by New Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 7:12 PM

I think the law is crazy because the seatbeat still crosses over my neck.

tiredgranny521
    by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Seat belts when properly worn save lives. The law was amended to keep kids safe. If your child were injured because you gave into their whining about the booster seat, you would never forgive yourself.

Remember it is easier to prevent injury than go through all the treatments needed after the injury.  I am short and have to adjust my seatbelt and seat height to keep it from crossing my neck . A child does not have this advantage so boosters are the next best thing. Offer to buy them a new carseat with a 5 pt harness and maybe then they won't complain.

pandora082879
    by New Member on Dec. 3, 2009 at 6:20 AM

Quoting Sugar2009:

I think the law is crazy because the seatbeat still crosses over my neck.

I'm 5'1" and I have an aunt who is 4'11". how long before they require anyone under a certain height to need a friggin booster seat????

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)