Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Warehouse Clubs (EDITED)

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 2:02 PM
Liz
  • 18 Replies

Do you belong to Sam's, Costco, BJs, etc?  Are there others?  How often do you go there?  What kind of things do you buy?

ETA this about Target:

Quote:

The aisles of Target are rarely, if ever, criticized for their diminutive nature. But until recently, shoppers who prefer to buy in packages so large that they can't help but save money had to wander the even bigger aisles of warehouse stores like Costco and Sam's Club. Not anymore.

For the next seven weeks, Target will offer big bulk items like extremely large packages of paper towels in its seasonal aisles (typically used for post-holiday merchandise markdowns in January and February), says company spokesperson Jana O'Leary. Target is calling it the Great Save Event, which will go through February 21 at all of the company's 1,740 stores.
While the event is being marketed as a way to fill your shopping cart with with bottles of laundry soap, packs of t-shirts, and dozens of rolls of toilet paper, the sale is not just about enormous multi-packs. The company's web site also advertises deals on items like a Spiderman quilt for $16 (down from $34); the complete first season of NCIS for $29.30 (save $10.68); and a 5% price cut on an Apple iPod Touch 32GB (bollocks! I just bought one). Other deals will also be found inside stores, such as women's t-shirts for $4 each and a six-pack of bath towels for $19.99, says O'Leary.

Yes: this looks very much like a mini Costco-within-a-Target. "We're excited to offer a warehouse club-like experience, with a fun Target twist," says O'Leary.

According to BNET's retail analyst Mike Duff, the move makes perfect sense, and is consistent with Target's "Expect More. Pay Less" strategy: "It all adds up to an attempt to create more reasons for consumers to visit the store more often, which is important at a time when shoppers remain reluctant to spend on things other than necessities unless they believe they're getting significant bargains," he says.

It will also be great for Target's bottom line. The sort of savvy shopper who has been shopping at Costco will be easily convinced to switch those dollars to Target; especially given the chain's reputation for its trendy fashion offerings.

In the end, will this bulk-buying event be great for consumers' bottom lines? Probably not. Sure, you can skip the warehouse membership fee for now. (Target says it has no plans to offer year-round bulk bargains; and management isn't sure yet whether the event will be repeated next year.) But shoppers tend to spend a lot more money per visit when they feel they're saving on a per-unit basis; meaning you're probably going to end up buying things you don't need. Maybe that's why O'Leary says the company is "pleased with early results."

It's a savvy move for the chain. But don't feel too virtuous if you skip Costco and spend your toilet paper bucks in Target's Great Save Event aisles. If you do enter those well-lit Target aisles, you'll need to restrain yourself from diving for the deals on handbags or scooping up House: Seasons 1-5. And remember: big packages do not always mean big price cuts. As always when buying in bulk, check your unit price against the smaller serving sizes.

by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jan. 6, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I used to belong to Costcos & BJs...at different times.  I should rejoin one of them just for diapers & formula.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 6, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I belong to BJ's Wholesale and I've belonged to Sams. During the PB recall a couple of years ago, my DH's BIL got us a membership to Sams, as I asked my MIL to return the PB she bought the kids.

I LOVE BJ's hands down! On top of their savings, they take manufacturer coupons (and MULTIPLES).... so Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls.... I think are $7.99 a 4 pack ($2.39 each in the reg.s tores) I had 2 $1 off 2 coupons so I got them for $5.99 :) PLUS they have their own coupons :)

I noticed that in 2007 Sams didn't have this, but BJ's does: I can get a slab of cow :) it is usually around $2.39 per pound, and has a variety of meat roast, steaks, stew meat etc.... typically I will get one for anywhere from $18 to $25 ( I don't think I've spent more than that) and it is close to 2 weeks worth of non-hamburger beef. They also have one avail. in pork.

Diapers honestly aren't usually cheaper, although Luvs are, but Huggies and Pampers are more expensive.... Formula they carry their own brand, but it is made by PBM (I think that's the initals, they make all the "generics") and only carry the main players for standard formula.

I go weekly, that is where i get 90% of my groceries.

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, Christopher and Alexander 

"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."

MNH531
by New Member on Jan. 6, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I belong to BJs. I have never had a Sams club membership. But i usually buy laundry detergent, all my cleaning products, shampoo, soap, razors, and snacks for the kids.

Jillysmom
by Adele on Jan. 6, 2010 at 4:35 PM

I have BJ's and use it like every 6-8 weeks. We get our PB there and most snacks. I also get the weight watchers string Cheese, which is $4.99 for 12 in the stores but $7.99 for 36 in BJ's. I also buy there brand bottle water to use with the flavor packages.

remaining_me
by Kay on Jan. 7, 2010 at 12:18 AM

I'm not a member of any, but I need to be.

Kay

Sophia

pregnancy week by week

Grneydmomof2
by on Jan. 7, 2010 at 7:24 AM

We use BJs.

Sign my GB and read my journals!

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jan. 7, 2010 at 9:18 AM

bump

Mom2BandCJ
by Member on Jan. 7, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I have a Costco membership and go about once every two to three weeks.  I stock up on raw nuts, organic PB, eggs, salad greens, yogurt and some frozen fish.

I also have a free temporary BJ's membership, not as impressed with their offerings, at least at the one near me.

I'll have to check out Target.

JASMamma
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2010 at 7:05 PM

We go to BJs about once a month.  Dog food, Gatorade, paper products, laundry detergent are what we use it for. They carry Iron Chef marinades in the big bottle. We love that.  We go a little more often in the warmer months to get supplies for parties and such.  We have a BBQ at our house almost every weekend during the Summer so it definitely comes in handy for that.

I have to echo that the coupon thing is fantastic at BJs.  I save so much money using them.  Even though the bill on average comes out to about $150, saves us money in the long run.

Have A Grateful Day!
Tee's Home Doings Blog: http://teeshomedoings.blogspot.com/
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 7, 2010 at 7:40 PM

I saw the packages in Target today when I was in. Some of the prices at my Target seemed higher than BJ's (and the bridge over 481 seperates them)......

BJ's is dubbed the $100 store...lol as that is the average of what we spend per week. Then at tax time, I easily spend $200 on my "big stock-up". One thing I need to remember to do is check on the price of Dog Chow. They also have good prices on Wii games, DVD's etc.... and BOOKS (my addiction).

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, Christopher and Alexander 

"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)