Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Warehouse Clubs (EDITED)

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you belong to Sam's, Costco, BJs, etc?  Are there others?  How often do you go there?  What kind of things do you buy?

ETA this about Target:

Quote:

The aisles of Target are rarely, if ever, criticized for their diminutive nature. But until recently, shoppers who prefer to buy in packages so large that they can't help but save money had to wander the even bigger aisles of warehouse stores like Costco and Sam's Club. Not anymore.

For the next seven weeks, Target will offer big bulk items like extremely large packages of paper towels in its seasonal aisles (typically used for post-holiday merchandise markdowns in January and February), says company spokesperson Jana O'Leary. Target is calling it the Great Save Event, which will go through February 21 at all of the company's 1,740 stores.
While the event is being marketed as a way to fill your shopping cart with with bottles of laundry soap, packs of t-shirts, and dozens of rolls of toilet paper, the sale is not just about enormous multi-packs. The company's web site also advertises deals on items like a Spiderman quilt for $16 (down from $34); the complete first season of NCIS for $29.30 (save $10.68); and a 5% price cut on an Apple iPod Touch 32GB (bollocks! I just bought one). Other deals will also be found inside stores, such as women's t-shirts for $4 each and a six-pack of bath towels for $19.99, says O'Leary.

Yes: this looks very much like a mini Costco-within-a-Target. "We're excited to offer a warehouse club-like experience, with a fun Target twist," says O'Leary.

According to BNET's retail analyst Mike Duff, the move makes perfect sense, and is consistent with Target's "Expect More. Pay Less" strategy: "It all adds up to an attempt to create more reasons for consumers to visit the store more often, which is important at a time when shoppers remain reluctant to spend on things other than necessities unless they believe they're getting significant bargains," he says.

It will also be great for Target's bottom line. The sort of savvy shopper who has been shopping at Costco will be easily convinced to switch those dollars to Target; especially given the chain's reputation for its trendy fashion offerings.

In the end, will this bulk-buying event be great for consumers' bottom lines? Probably not. Sure, you can skip the warehouse membership fee for now. (Target says it has no plans to offer year-round bulk bargains; and management isn't sure yet whether the event will be repeated next year.) But shoppers tend to spend a lot more money per visit when they feel they're saving on a per-unit basis; meaning you're probably going to end up buying things you don't need. Maybe that's why O'Leary says the company is "pleased with early results."

It's a savvy move for the chain. But don't feel too virtuous if you skip Costco and spend your toilet paper bucks in Target's Great Save Event aisles. If you do enter those well-lit Target aisles, you'll need to restrain yourself from diving for the deals on handbags or scooping up House: Seasons 1-5. And remember: big packages do not always mean big price cuts. As always when buying in bulk, check your unit price against the smaller serving sizes.

by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 2:02 PM
Replies (11-18):
elwalters77
by Erica on Jan. 7, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Quoting lizmarie1975:

I used to belong to Costcos & BJs...at different times.  I should rejoin one of them just for diapers & formula.

I was a member of BJs when Corbin was a baby for that very reason, but now I find that Target is nearly as competatively priced as BJs for them.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Jillysmom
by Adele on Jan. 7, 2010 at 10:19 PM

I might have to go check it out. Can you believe i haven't been in a store for anything more the picking up medicine since before christmas.

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jan. 8, 2010 at 7:26 AM

Quoting elwalters77:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

I used to belong to Costcos & BJs...at different times.  I should rejoin one of them just for diapers & formula.

I was a member of BJs when Corbin was a baby for that very reason, but now I find that Target is nearly as competatively priced as BJs for them.

Thanks for the heads up!

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jan. 8, 2010 at 7:27 AM

Quoting Jillysmom:

I might have to go check it out. Can you believe i haven't been in a store for anything more the picking up medicine since before christmas.

It killed me to walk past the Christmas stuff in CVS but since we'll be moving in June/July I didn't want to pack & move unnecessary stuff.  I'll start my collection, again, next year.

cclpmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2010 at 7:32 AM

Quoting remaining_me:

I'm not a member of any, but I need to be.

Yeah same here!

happynewyorker
by Member on Jan. 8, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I'm a Costco member and go every other week when I get paid.  I get regular groceries, fruits, paper products (not all the time), I go more for school lunch for my daughter and get things for the home.  Milk and juices and frozen foods.  I love the chicken that is cooked and enjoy the great deals and prices.  I get upset when I have to go to the grocery store for something but the prices are better at Costco's.  I can spend 400 or less a month at Costco's compared to going to the grocery store and ending up spending more for less.  We are a family of 3 and the most food that leaves our home the most is things for lunch and fruits. 

I've given up on CVS also, since I can get over the counter medication for a bit more in price because they provide more in each product.  I stock up on over the counter medicine 2ice a year and it saves in my pocket. 

with Costco's you get to try different products which I think is great.

jsmits
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 7:59 PM

We belong to BJ's. It is the cheapest place I have found in the NYC area to buy milk. Its like a dollar cheaper than at the grocery stores.  My normal run is milk, eggs, chicken nuggets, chicken breast, ground meat, pasta, sauce, and deli stuff....and a rotisserie chicken...yum! 

mareksmama
by Tracy on Jan. 9, 2010 at 10:26 PM

I belong to BJ's and love it!  BUT, I wish there was a Costco around my area.  I've been to one down in FL and loved it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)