Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Parks Pass

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 9:25 PM
  • 9 Replies

I honestly can't remember what it is called, although I think it's Empire something..... Anyone have one?

My Dh and I keep thinking about it, but what ends up turning us off is that it's a sticker.

My issue is that we'd only have 1 vechile at a time, and the car we use depends on who is with us. We went to Oneida Shores the last day of school (it was a 1/2 day) so we took our Suburban as we had 2 extra kids, but the 2 days we went to Buttermilk Falls, and Green Lakes we took our van.

My DH thinks we should just get one in April and stick it in the van. Then if we use the Suburban we will just pay regular car admission, unless we manage to camp this year (which requires teh Suburban) and then parking is "free" anyway. We had a trailer hitch put on our van so we can carry the kids mountain bikes etc... we just can't carry the extra bodies.

Now slightly off topic, but typing this I noticed I never went to Fair Haven this summer :(

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, Christopher and Alexander 

"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."

by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jan. 7, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Is this something local to your area?

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 7, 2010 at 9:10 PM

No, it is State Wide. http://nysparks.state.ny.us/admission/empire-passport/default.aspx $65 per sticker per car.

I think the parks we like are $7 ( which I am sure Patterson is trying to raise) a car per day, and we are close to enough of them to possibly get our money's worth.... plus b/c my DH has weekdays off we can go during the week. I just need to get my knee fixed. I wanted to die after our day trips to Buttermilk Falls and Green Lakes.

bakteach
by on Jan. 7, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Buttermilk is one of my favorites and "kind-of" across the street is Treman which is also amazing! I never buy an Empire Pass. We just never used it enough to justify the cost. When we had it last, it was about $60. I just looked it up, it is $65 for this season coming up.

Do you get a discount on camping if you have it?

elwalters77
by Erica on Jan. 7, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Dude!  I am cheap.  I would totally tape that sucker down so I could switch cars.  LOL

And no, we've never gotten one, but living in the same town as the Fillmore Glen, it might be a good idea. 

Jillysmom
by Adele on Jan. 7, 2010 at 9:55 PM

you get a discount on my state run parking and camping sites.

elwalters77
by Erica on Jan. 7, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Also, I believe anyone with a military ID can get a discount.

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jan. 7, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Quoting elwalters77:

Dude!  I am cheap.  I would totally tape that sucker down so I could switch cars.  LOL

I'm filing that little piece of advice for the future.

bakteach
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 6:47 AM

Quoting elwalters77:

And no, we've never gotten one, but living in the same town as the Fillmore Glen, it might be a good idea. 

That's a place I have always wanted to go.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 8, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Quoting elwalters77:

I was reading it and it has to be stuck onto teh car..... friends of ours were going to do that as they live very close to Green Lakes and go daily....... they got crap for it. They ended up just buying a second one. I think we will still end up sticking it on the van, worst case senerio we take both cars camping (as I'm sure the one with the sticker would need to be at the park too for samping discounts)..... We live within 1/2 and hour to 45 min. of several parks,but some of our favorites are an hour to an hour n a half away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN