Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Question for NYC ladies

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 6:08 PM
  • 3 Replies

I'm curious.  I love watching home improvement shows and House Hunters on HGTV.  I was watching House Hunters this morning and it was a woman in Manhatten looking for a condo.  The tiny 650 sq. ft. condos she looked at were half a million plus $700 a maintence monthly fees.  Whew.....good lord that is pricey.  Our house is a little over 1800 sq. ft. and only cost $50,000.

So, it's got me curious, since the cost of living in the NYC area is generally higher than other cities and towns, does everyone earn more than average???  Like, those that just have part time jobs in retail stores like Old Navy...do they still only earn minimum wage?  How does the average person afford to live in NYC?

If cost of food much higher?  Like a gallon of milk here is roughly $2, what is the average cost where you are?  We spend roughly $50 a week on groceries....a gallon of gas is about $2.80 right now in Buffalo. 

Lilypie

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jan. 8, 2010 at 6:23 PM

A gallon of milk is over $3, gas is roughly $2.87 as long as you pump it yourself.

I just spent almot $50 on groceries & didn't buy any meat.

I think the cost of living in NYC is why many families fall beneath the poverty line or come real close to it.  That could be with both parents working!!

jsmits
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 7:50 PM

It is crazy! I am a stay at home mom, so we are trying to make it on one income right now. Milk (which we go through 3 gallons at least a week) is around $3.50. My normal grocery bill can be in the $150's per week for just the essentials and very little meat. You sacrifice. Gas is crazy, car insurance is outrageous. We decided that it was more realistic for me to stay home with the kids than try to afford daycare.  We all just find a way to make it work. You make more, but not that much more. People work alot and often have two jobs.

katiemomNY
by on Jan. 9, 2010 at 2:34 PM

While it is undoubtedly more expensive to live in NYC than in other cities, I think it's all relative.  For example, in Philadelphia I made similar wages and rent is not that much cheaper than it is here to live in a comparable area.  The big difference there is that the public transportation is not nearly as well-developed as it is here, so you have the added expense of a car/insurance/gas, etc.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN