Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My company sucks

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:21 AM
Liz
  • 19 Replies

This year I will be celebrating my 15th year at my job.  As this is considered a milestone, my job provides a couple of awards. 

As of December 31st, the reward was a $400 meal reimbursement and 2 weeks of pay.  Great!  I could really use that money. 

Those suckers just sent out an email saying that the policy has now changed.  For 15 years, I am now entitled to a $500 meal reimbursement and a $1500 award...that's over $1000 LESS than I was expecting.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I should be lucky/grateful that I'm getting anything but this is just one more instance of my company (a very well off company) taking stuff away from their employees and expecting employee morale to stay high.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:42 AM

But let's hear it for my boss who sent this email to HR:

Why does everything that says it is to bring us in line with the rest of (company name) invariably a cut in benefits of some sort? I'm starting to think that this is just an HR euphemism. 

All kidding aside, this change is not going over well with staff. It is a reduction in yet another benefit. I understand the need for the company to save money but taking money out of employees' pockets is going to make it that much harder to retain the best people. Those who are capable of getting other jobs in this economic environment are exactly the people the company can least afford to lose.

It would have been useful to grandfather long-term workers under the old plan as they stand to lose the most under the new plan.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:46 AM

I am sorry.

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, Christopher and Alexander 

"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."

Jillysmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Liz, I'm sorry to hear that, kudos to your boss. Hopefully it works. They should grandfather the old timers,lol

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

I am sorry.

LOL, it's ok.  I just needed to vent.  I mean it's $1500 more than I had but still...we're moving this year and I was just counting on that $$.

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Quoting Jillysmom:

Liz, I'm sorry to hear that, kudos to your boss. Hopefully it works. They should grandfather the old timers,lol

Yeah, it probably won't but hey...it makes me feel better to see that he wrote that email.

Mombecmar
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I totally understand your feelings.  I am sorry this has happened and you have every right to vent.  It is easier to vent here than say something that could get you fired or terminated.  Your disappointed that it is happening this year, and truthfully no year would be a good year.  They should have grandfathered the existing employees and remove the policy for the new hires. 

elwalters77
by Erica on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:11 PM

That is low.  I'm sorry.  They should have grandfathered that.  I feel your pain.  We didn't get raises last year and probably none this year either, but they also don't replace people that leave, so we get to do more work for the same pay.  I'm so overworked I have nothing left for my family and home by the end of the day and I'm completey stressed out. 

katesigns
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Careful what you say on line...you never know who is looking!!! 

And by the way, stop complaining...be happy you have a job in this economy, my company cut us 30% salary, no benefits, no paid time off, no sick time, no retirement and less hours.  so when i see a post like yours I see red!

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Quoting katesigns:

Careful what you say on line...you never know who is looking!!! 

And by the way, stop complaining...be happy you have a job in this economy, my company cut us 30% salary, no benefits, no paid time off, no sick time, no retirement and less hours.  so when i see a post like yours I see red!

Which is why I removed the company name.

Also I believe I said I knew I should be lucky/grateful that I'm getting anything but I'm allowed to vent.  Thanks anyway!

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Quoting elwalters77:

That is low.  I'm sorry.  They should have grandfathered that.  I feel your pain.  We didn't get raises last year and probably none this year either, but they also don't replace people that leave, so we get to do more work for the same pay.  I'm so overworked I have nothing left for my family and home by the end of the day and I'm completey stressed out. 

Yeah, my department is down to two people left to support over 150.  It's always fun when one of us take sick or vacation days. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)