Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The geeerms.

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:06 AM
Kay
  • 7 Replies

I'm thinking about putting my daughter in daycare and I have to say my biggest concern is the germs, lol. Kids are so messy! They share everything, love mess, ya know, just common toddler behavior. It grosses me out!It came to mind just watching my LO have company today. Bringing the girls potty and they wanna flush the toilet for each other and they want to share lip gloss and ah! LOL.

So I had questions for moms with daycare students.

How often is your child sick?
How often do your kids come home with trash worthy clothing?
How do you teach or prepare your child for the germy environment (if that's even possible, lol)?

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jillysmom
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:10 AM

I haveto say Jillian did get sick when she first started but not much. But She wasn't anywhere near as sick in kindergarten as my nephews  who didn't go to daycare.

remaining_me
by Kay on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Aah, she probably had time to build some immunity before kinder. Mayah is around children fairly often and I don't deal with her getting sick much, but I think she might like daycare.. I'm just such a germ freak its grossing me out, lol.

Quoting Jillysmom:

I haveto say Jillian did get sick when she first started but not much. But She wasn't anywhere near as sick in kindergarten as my nephews  who didn't go to daycare.

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Both of my older kids attended daycare full time.  They've never had any major illnesses, just the common colds for the most part.  My kids never had their clothes destroyed in daycare.  They were always well cared for. 

Both of the attended in home licensed daycares in my neighborhood.

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:45 AM

Quoting Jillysmom:

I find pre-k to be a lot germier than daycare ever was.  I mean, kids in her class have had the flu, pneumonia, strep throat (which she had for the first time, as well), and other icky things.  None of this ever went around daycare.

lish2127
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:13 AM

My son has never went to daycare, but he started preschool this year 3 mornings a week. In the beginning the kids kept passing around the same colds, but nothing too bad. The teachers make sure they wash their hands after using the restroom, and they use hand sanitizer before and after snack time. They also use those sanitizing wipes to wipe the tables. I think a little exposure to germs is good for them.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:18 AM

How often she gets sick depends on how good her immune system is already. Spring and Summer aren't usually as bad for shared illness as they can get outdoors more often.

I never had a problem with Johnny's clothes getting trashed. Yet, he never did anything but sit in his own world playing with Buzz & Woddy. When I worked there, I would place a *warning* on the sheet allerting parents to a messy project the following day. I still had kids come in super nice clothes, I had one little girl who managed to wipe her painted hands on her shirt UNDER her artsmock (and not a flipping thank-you from the Mom when I changed her shirt and handwashed in the classroom sink before it dried in).

I am not one for the over use of hand santizers and soap. I teach my sons to wash their hands after the use the bathroom and before they eat. Then to sneeze into their elbows.  

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex 
"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."
"I have one designer thing in my house, and naturally it's a dog."

elwalters77
by Erica on Mar. 6, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Our DCP is very diligent with cleaning and disinfecting.  My kids to get sick more often than some, but it comes with the territory.  It's good for them though, helps them build their immune system.  I teach my oldest to cough and sneeze into his elbow or his "chicken wing" as our DCP calls it and he knows about washing his hands well and using hand sanitizer.  She immediately puts toys that have been in a kid's mouth in the dishwasher to be sanitized.  My kids have never come home with ruined clothes.  If they get dirty, she changes them and washes what they were wearing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)