Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok, Need Advice--Fast!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:37 AM
  • 6 Replies

My parents have decided they are coming to visit at the end of may for a week.  My mom still wants to fly into nyc.  Now, I need to know what airport is the easiest and what hotel is cheapest without being in a bad area.  We want to see st. patricks cathedral, we know that much.  But, we've never dreamed that we would be living this close and have the chance to go.  Thanks!

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I would probably fly into JFK.  Where do you want the hotel to be?  You could probably get a cheaper rate just outside the city in one of the boroughs than staying in a hotel located in manhattan.

Dawne98
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I fly into LGA...JFK is so big and far from NYC. When I fly in and out of NY I go out of LGA. I am not sure how much you want to do on hotel but I have stayed at the New Yorker and it was like $125.00 a night but it is right in mid town.  Also from Lga to the city is $45 in a cab. No matter if you go into JFK or LGA.                                               

JaydensMommy98
by Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:14 PM

I like LGA much better than JFK.  I only fly in/out of JFK if I absolutely have to.  LGA is smaller and much easier to navigate.  Security is easier pick up/drop off is quick and easy.

For a hotel, my suggestion would be to just start looking around and see where you can get a good rate.  In my experience it's just something where you have to invest a little time and research.  You never know what kind a deal you could come across!  There is a place called The Travel Inn near Times Square.  They have an outdoor pool and free parking- the only place in the city I have ever found that.

If price is a big object try looking right outside Manhattan in places like Long Island City.  It's easy to hop the subway into the city and the price difference can be big.

powow65
by Kim on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:43 PM

idk, sorry.

Kellileanne
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:41 PM

What about newark???  I also found a hotel that with the military discount would be 72 plus taxes, it's close to newark and 20 minutes from time square.  We will have our own car and even though I'm nervous about us driving in such a big city there is no way we can pay so much for cabs and actually do anything!  I'm thinking st patricks cathedral, central park, and time square will be our hit list.  We feel like seeing nyc is a once in a lifetime chance so might as well do it while we live this close!  My dad doesn't care at all but I know my mom realllllly wants to go. 

MomtoRoman
by Member on Apr. 24, 2010 at 9:44 AM

If you stay near Newark and drive to the city, you will have to add tolls to your costs plus parking fees.  In midtown, there is street parking, but you have to pay the meter and it gets expensive.  Your best bet is a parking garage, but again, it can be pricey.  Depending on where your parents are coming from, LGA may be cheaper than JFK.  You'll have to check the airline.  There are a lot of hotels near JFK and LGA that may give the military discount and also give a discount for AAA members.  Your best bet for getting in to and around the city is public transportation.  You can get a daily unlimited MetroCard for around $10 (mta.info will have the price).  Good luck and have fun!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)