Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BJs Wholesale

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:22 PM
  • 19 Replies

We had a membership when my son was an infant.  We mainly used it for formula and didn't renew when we stopped needing it.

When I lived in Ohio I had access to Sams Club through work so I have never really paid for a club membership for regular grocery shopping.

We have an opportunity to get a 15 month Bjs membership for 2 people for $35 which seems like a really good deal.  I know they accept coupons which is another plus.  What I'm looking to find out is how their prices are on milk, produce and meats?  Is it significantly lower than supermarkets? 

We live in Queens and do almost all of our grocery shopping at Stop and Shop.  I occasionally go to Trader Joes and our local Key Food for odds and ends. 

Is it worth getting the membership??

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM

I found the milk to be a little more then wal mart across the street.  The meats were less expensive. Produce was about the same but soon the famers markets will be open here so I wont get any from there.

I find the real savings at BJs is during the holiday season :)  And on the things I know will not go bad.  My son's nac and cheese addiction, my DHs ramean noodle addiction, splenda, rice, pasta sauces, froz veggies.

The only down side is since it is in bulk the cost adds up really fast but it does last a long time. 

by Liz on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:50 PM

If we knew each other outside of Cafemom, I would go in half on a membership with you.

by Stephannie on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:00 PM

the 2 adults *should* are suppose to live at the same address.... that being said, I haven't lived at my Moms in how long? and we still share our membership (initally it was her's but I worked near it and still lived home, lol).

Milk for me (up in Syracuse) is ususally right around Wegmans shoppers card price $1.60-ish for 1%. I buy the "slab" of cow for $2.39 per pound (ish) and that has a variety of meat cuts and enough for at least 4 meals for my huge family. I don't buy produce there...although I will buy fozen veggies. I get pretzels rods, popcorn, cereal bars, granola bars, cheese slices, cheese sticks, butter, margarine, garlic toast, orange juice, juice boxes, applesauce, cranberry sauce, all my spices, coffee, hot choc. mix, hershey syrup, 90% of all my meats (great price for Gianelli sausages), my sons soy milk ($4.69 for 2 half gallons of silk)....

They take manufacturer coupons and they have their own. So... 2 half gallons of soy milk in 1 box can be broken down and sold seperatly... I can use 2 $1 off 1 coupons.... I easily spend $100 per week there.

by Melissa on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I don't get things like milk there.  I go maybe once a month for a 10 pound bag of bonelss, skinless chicken breasts ($19.99 for that), salmon (box of 6 flavored fillets for $15), and a 42 pound box of kitty litter for $8.99.  We sometimes get a few other things if we go up and down the aisles. 

We also go their for our gas as it's generaly 5-10 cents cheaper with our membership than elsewhere.

by Melissa on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:12 PM

But....let me add, we share the membershp with my parents, I hve my moms card in my wallet and I go through the self checkout with dad has the other card, and since my mom doesn't drive and wouldgo with my dd anyway it works out. Shhhhh

by Kim on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM

um.. idk. i would love to go there! but like i said, idk.

i say try it for a month or two.. & if your not a happy camper.. stop.

by Snow Bunny on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I don't go there on principal alone. I should NOT have to pay to shop in your store where I am going to spend my money. IMO it's nothing more than a gimmic.

by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:50 PM

I go there every month for gro shopping i find thats its much cheeper then the stores in the city......OMG did you say you shop at key food.... if it is anything like the one by me it is very expensive. you will save with themembership. you get bigger protins and its cheeper,

by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:39 PM

We go about every 4-6 weeks.  I don't buy produce there, because of the large quantities and I'd rather buy what I need for a few days at the Farmer's Market.  Milk ONLY if at the time of our trip we need it.  It's about the same I can pick up a gallon at Walgreens.  We shop there for pet supplies, drinks and non-perishible items.  OR when we are having a party, we go there for supplies, especially when BBQ, we go for the meat choices and paper goods.  I love that they take coupons as well. I can sometimes triple the savings between their coupons and ones I find in the paper.

by Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Thanks for all the replies :-)

When I looked online it says you can have up to 3 extra cards for people living at the same address and it's $20 extra for additional cards on your account.  I'm thinking that is what he meant by the card being good for 2 people. Not 100% sure though.

I don't do regular shopping at Key Food- way too expensive- I will run in for a gallon of milk or and odd item here or there. I do my regular shopping at Stop and Shop. 

Eh, I'm still undecided.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)