• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paycheck to Paycheck?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:00 AM
  • 12 Replies

This seems to be the "norm".  Does your family live paycheck to paycheck, or do you have a cushion and savings?  I know we certainly live paycheck to paycheck.  It is so stressful!

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shecallsmemom04
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:03 AM

we have a savings.  i've figured it out and we could survive roughly 6 years with both of us unemployed, if we cut some unnecessary things out.  after that, we could use the children's college savings if really needed.

will fight for animals

elwalters77
by Erica on May. 2, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Quoting shecallsmemom04:

we have a savings.  i've figured it out and we could survive roughly 6 years with both of us unemployed, if we cut some unnecessary things out.  after that, we could use the children's college savings if really needed.

Holy Cow!  How did you do it?  We'll be a lot better off once we pay off our non-secured debts, but I still don't know how we'd ever be able to do THAT!  Wow!

lizmarie1975
by Liz on May. 2, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I used to but then SO started working for himself and makes more than either of does/did in an office job. 

shecallsmemom04
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:28 AM

well i suppose the story isn't really "that" great, there were some outside forces that helped.  my mother saved money for me since the day i was born(birthday card money and every little bit here and there), i started working at 13 and saved every single cent, by the time i moved out at 18 i had a fairly large savings of my own.  for the last 10 years, i have still been saving every penny i could.  i bought a lottery ticket on a whim and won.  definitely not mega millions but not chump change either.  my husband sold 2 houses overseas last year when his mother died.  and they were not "cheap" houses.  i have a great job, my husband stays home.  however, he is not without income.  he co-owns a business and he has invested wisely.  my income is used for our lifestyle, his money is used strictly for savings, which we never touch.  we also have no debt, even the house and all my student loans for 8 years of school are paid off.

i've never been the type of person who just goes out and blows money just because i could,  i've always been very responsible with it.  i went without for a very long time.  i did live paycheck to paycheck many times, even when i did have money in the bank, i just refused to touch it for any reason.  i got multiple jobs before i'd ever touch the savings.  but i was determined to one day be financially comfortable.  and it did pay off in the end.  i've seen many friends crash and burn because they just had to have the latest and lived above their means.  and everything happened for us, right before the economy took a nose dive, timing was perfect.  good things come to those who wait and to those who are responsible.  we feel very blessed and lucky.

Quoting elwalters77:

Quoting shecallsmemom04:

Holy Cow!  How did you do it?  We'll be a lot better off once we pay off our non-secured debts, but I still don't know how we'd ever be able to do THAT!  Wow!

will fight for animals

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on May. 2, 2010 at 2:57 PM

We live pretty much paycheck to paycheck. We don't spend beyond our means. It's just always something comes up.

While people were struggling and losing their jobs. We were lucky, Hubby held onto his job at his current pay scale. Although things have gotten more expensive, we still have a decent living.

I can't say we own brand new everything but we are comfortable week to week. Now if we could just save, all would be good.

MargauxG
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:08 PM

We have a savings with about 80 dollars in it! I try to pretend its not there and hubby doesn't know how much is in there, not like its much. But if we "know" about it we will spend it so its better than nothing! 

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on May. 2, 2010 at 4:18 PM

we are paycheck to paycheck. partly beacuse teh cut hours where John works (he lost 12 hrs. per week), and then changed paychecks. It used to be if you had 60 hrs. you got 1 check for your basepay, and 1 check for yoru OT, now it all comes in one check and even with the dependents Uncle Sam take a HUGE chunk of change each week... not that 60 hr weeks are often anymore  (he used to have 3 every 8 week rotation).
We manage.... no frills here...

lish2127
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2010 at 5:29 PM

I'm a SAHM and DH doesn't make a ton, but its enough to pay our bills. We get a large profit sharing check once a year, on top of that a large tax return so that is what we use to buy extras and if we get behind during the year, we are able to pay it off with that. We try to live within our means and not have debt. We've had rough times, but we're finally able to pay bills and put a tiny amount aside. We want to buy a house soon, but it's very difficult to save much with one income.

Dawne98
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:35 PM

I too am a SHAM but My DH is so GOOD with our $$$$ and b4 we got Married I had $$$ for my DD saving for her. So we are good but we live as if we don't have it. I am not one to need a lot of things but I do like to go out and see all the city has...lol so right now that is  what I do with $50 a week..lol

Jillysmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Paycheck to paycheck here and some weeks it doesn't make it from one to the other but we manage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)