Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insect repellent

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:04 AM
  • 10 Replies

What do you use for insect repellent?  I don't really like to use the sprays.  Citronella candles don't seem to do much.  We've tried pins and bracelets. Some people swear by Avon's Skin So Soft, but I don't see how it really helps much and just makes your skin oily and perfumy.  Has anyone found anything that actually works? 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizmarie1975
by Liz on May. 2, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Skin So Soft DOES work.  Check out SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus IR3535® Gentle Breeze™ SPF 30 Sunscreen Lotion

It does double duty.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on May. 2, 2010 at 12:19 PM

we use off, with good luck....

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on May. 2, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I have used skin so soft and I don't like it. Personally I do not think it's all it's cracked up to be. I use deep woods off. They have it in aerosol and a pump spray.

Jillysmom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Ok this is weird and its not 100% but it does help. Place a dryer sheet in your pocket and it seems to keep them away.

lish2127
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Avon SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Pump SprayI use this from Avon. Works good.

Mom2Jack04
by Melissa on May. 3, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Yeah when someone says they use Avon SSS they mean the Avon SSS Bug Guard, not the lotion itself.  The bug guard DOES work well and after a brief discontinuation of their wipes they brought them back....i LOVE their wipes but Ireally want to find an all natural alternative....

Jo????  Any all natural bug repellent recipes??????

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on May. 3, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Quoting Mom2Jack04:

Yeah when someone says they use Avon SSS they mean the Avon SSS Bug Guard, not the lotion itself.  The bug guard DOES work well and after a brief discontinuation of their wipes they brought them back....i LOVE their wipes but Ireally want to find an all natural alternative....

Jo????  Any all natural bug repellent recipes??????

Ah, yes, but the Avon SSS Bug Guard is fairly new.... for YEARS people swore by SSS itself. My Grandmother was one of them. I wouldn't pay extra for the Bug Guard if I was an SSS user.

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex 
"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."
"I have one designer thing in my house, and naturally it's a dog."

Mom2Jack04
by Melissa on May. 3, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Okay I did a little research an found this basic recipe that many swear by:

Basic recipe: In a bottle, mix 4 drops of eucalyptus, 4 drops of lavender, 4 drops of rosemary, 4 drops of tea tree essential oils with 1 teaspoon of witch hazel and 4 teaspoons of water. Shake the mixture and apply directly to skin.

Bug spray variation: Add the same mixture of oils to 2 teaspoons of witch hazel and 8 oz of water. Put this in a spray bottle and shake. Spray this directly on the skin.

Oil rub down variation: Add the same mixture of oils to 5 teaspoons of olive oil. Rub the mixture into your skin.

Ginaonline
by Member on May. 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM

i heard that bounce fabric sheets works for the mosquitoes

elwalters77
by Erica on May. 3, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Thanks for the tips ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)