Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

freak deadly accident in Central Park :(

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:57 PM
  • 12 Replies

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/falling-tree-branch-kills-baby-gianna-ricciutti-injures-mom/19532694?icid=main|main|dl1|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Ffalling-tree-branch-kills-baby-gianna-ricciutti-injures-mom%2F19532694

Holy crap is all I can say.....

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex 
"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."
"I have one designer thing in my house, and it's a dog."

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FDNYwife
by Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Oh I know.  3rd injury/death due to tree limbs there in 1 year!  So tragic~

saltycoqui
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I heard about it and wanted to cry. I don't think this is really anyones fault. I cannot imagine the family's agony. RIP lil baby.

elwalters77
by Erica on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:15 PM
:-(
Mom2Jack04
by Melissa on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Yeah I saw it when I signed on and was shocked, how aweful.....having a 6 month old myself it hits home hard

LadySaphira
by Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:41 PM

how horrible and sad :(

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Quoting FDNYwife:

Oh I know.  3rd injury/death due to tree limbs there in 1 year!  So tragic~

I saw that when I read it. I live in a town that has a "tree city" designation. They come through every so often and "evaluate" the trees that are in our main areas of the parks (they oviously don't go through our few dencely wooded areas) and that are along public use sidewalks. Determine if one is unsafe, make arrangements for it to be removed... and a new one planted.
I mean ice happens.... but it seems that they need to do some looking.

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex 
"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."
"I have one designer thing in my house, and it's a dog."

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:57 PM

They need to hold the park or whoever is in charge accountable three fallen tree accidents in a year?! Im surprised people are still going there.

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

They need to hold the park or whoever is in charge accountable three fallen tree accidents in a year?! Im surprised people are still going there.

Still going to Central Park? 

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:45 AM

It's really sad because right now no one will admit who was responsible for taking care of the trees. 

Quote:

A baby is dead. A mother is hospitalized. And still no one can say who was responsible for maintaining a tree after one of its falling branches struck them at the Central Park Zoo.

"The investigation as to why the limb fell is ongoing, as is a review of specific responsibility for tree maintenance," Parks Department spokeswoman Vickie Karp said Sunday.

The Central Park Conservancy, which handles tree maintenance in the park, and the Wildlife Conservation Society, which operates the zoo, did not respond to messages. The trunk of the tree is on zoo property; the branch fell just outside its gate.

chrarrington18
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2010 at 9:01 AM

We went not this sat but the previous one and the zoo is really busy this time a year. Its very sad that this has happened and I send my regrets to the faily but it was an accident. Its a catch 22 as too who is responsible because the zoo and the park are run by two different organizations. The wild life concervatory runs the zoo and another organization runs the park. I ma only going to guess that its going to depend on what part of the zoo this has happened.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)