Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:46 PM
  • 4 Replies

Does anyone have a child who has been diagnosed with ADHD?  My son shows all the classic signs and I'm considering taking him to the doctor to see how it can be diagnosed and what can be done.  I'm literally at my wits end dealing with my sons everyday outbursts, hitting, yelling and lack of concentration.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:04 PM

No, sorry.

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:56 PM

My oldest was diagnosed ADHD when he was a out 7 years old. However, the way he was diagnosed I completely disagreed with, although I firmly believe he is.

Kids with ADHD are very smart and that is a huge part of the problem. Their minds are constantly wandering. For instance we will say the sky is blue and the child agrees only his/her mind does stop with the sky is blue, it goes on further and says the sky is blue, has white puffy clouds, the sun is shining, i get burned easily in the sun, burns stink, stinky thing are skunks and stink bugs, bugs are gross , bugs are cool, bugs can sting or bite and leave itchy patches... their mind just goes off in a  million directions. So concentration is very hard and therefore the child will act out. It's very frustrating for them, much more frustrating than it is for the parents.

Sudden outburts are very common and so is sleep deprivation. Sleep deprivation because they just can't wind down and shut off that very active mind of theirs.

I will say that I do  not agree to medication( my personal prefrence), not that I'm against it. I just prefer a more natural way.

The first step is talking to your peditrician. Good luck because it's a long and very hard road to travel.

Mom2Jack04
by Melissa on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Thanks, hun, it would be a very long post if I went on about my son, but it's so hard with him sometimes, he acts like and thinks he literally is in charge and talks back so much, doesn't stop talking for 5 seconds, and acts out way too much. 

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Quoting Mom2Jack04:

Thanks, hun, it would be a very long post if I went on about my son, but it's so hard with him sometimes, he acts like and thinks he literally is in charge and talks back so much, doesn't stop talking for 5 seconds, and acts out way too much. 

It could be ADHD coupled with ODD. It's worth looking into. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)