Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IEP/School vent....

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:36 AM
  • 10 Replies

For anyone who is fortunate enough to not know... an IEP is an Individualized Education Plan.

So, last August as John was entering his 9th grade year, I made a royal mess of his schedule. It came out and his 1st period class was resource. Called his Counselor explained that John has to do math homework in resource as teachers want it done "just so." So he looked into and we ended up changing John's entire schedule. In order to move resource.

At his IEP meeting in April for this school year, I asked one simple thing. Math class then later in the day resource. So what do they do?
1st period: resource, 2nd period A: study hall B: AIS Geometry, 9th period Geometry!

The counselors reply back to me yesterday: With John having Geometry the last period of the day he then has resource 1st
period and AIS Geometry on A days to work on his HW before he has to hand it in
the next day. We also have math lab that he can go to during lunch if need be so
there should be plenty of opportunity to get his HW done and looked over.

Excuse me?? It is "ok" to go 17 hrs to have the concept retaught? I don't think she is understanding that reteaching his math homework in Resource is a 10 min at the end of class thing. In order to get his triple time for tests/quizzes he is almost always finishing something for the first 30 min. As far as using the lab during lunch.... he needs to get and eat his lunch first, and John will NOT ask to go to the front of the line.... His science teacher used to go get him last year.
So now I have a phone call into her (yet, again the server is down for email to get through).

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex 
"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."
"I have one designer thing in my house, and it's a dog."

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:44 AM

It's so very frustrating. I understand it. My daughter has an IEP and she has made such great strides since it has been in place.

However if you recall her last weeks of school, it was very unsetteling for her. I requested that she be switched away from these certain classes because of individuals. They can not do this with all of these classes because of the limited IEP classes they have.

So she can get the help she needs educationally wise at the expense of herself?

So what is a Mother to do? I'm dreading her going back to school. I can not see her spirit broken anymore than it already was. It has taken us all summer to get her back to her self and I don't believe she will ever be the smae and even during the summer months I'm willing to bet it was these little bitches making calls from restricted numbers to my daughters phone.

Where does it end, and will my daughter gets the education that she's allowed to get?

Mom2Jack04
by Melissa on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:40 AM

I'm sorry you are both having a tough time with the schedules and classes.  Hopefully things will work out.  I know if I had to take the Math classes kids take today I'd need every possible minute to even kinda get it, i'm so bad at math.

Mom2Jack04
by Melissa on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I hope your daughter has an easier time this year.  I know what it's like to be picked on and have the whole school day feel like hell....I'll be keeping her in my thoughts and prayers that these individuals have grown up or gotten some actual parenting over the summer.

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Quoting Mom2Jack04:

I hope your daughter has an easier time this year.  I know what it's like to be picked on and have the whole school day feel like hell....I'll be keeping her in my thoughts and prayers that these individuals have grown up or gotten some actual parenting over the summer.

From your lips to Gods ears. So help me God if she has to deal with that again. There will be hell to pay.

Dawne98
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Yes I am so sorry I would NOT what to do!!!!

Mom2Jack04
by Melissa on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

Quoting Mom2Jack04:

From your lips to Gods ears. So help me God if she has to deal with that again. There will be hell to pay.

You and I can always go jack these girls up, lol.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Sep. 1, 2010 at 8:53 AM

So after talking to her: we need to talk to the building principal. All the Resource classes are maxed. So it would mean screwing up another students schedule. Soooooo, I have to email the math teacher, explain the situation.... that we will start John's math at home (last class of teh day so maybe it won't be too bad), work on it in resource or AIS geo. Then if needed eat a quick lunch and head off to math lab.
Then I heard that teh 2nd semester they get into logic, so shoot me now!

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex 
"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."
"I have one designer thing in my house, and it's a dog."

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Sep. 1, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Quoting Mom2Jack04:

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

Quoting Mom2Jack04:

LOL ... I swear they deserve a good kick in the ass by thier parents...Sad thing was it wasn't only  girls. There was a boy too...and if that was my son who ever layed a hand on a girl... I would have kicked his little ass!!

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

So after talking to her: we need to talk to the building principal. All the Resource classes are maxed. So it would mean screwing up another students schedule. Soooooo, I have to email the math teacher, explain the situation.... that we will start John's math at home (last class of teh day so maybe it won't be too bad), work on it in resource or AIS geo. Then if needed eat a quick lunch and head off to math lab.
Then I heard that teh 2nd semester they get into logic, so shoot me now!

UGH! I have the same problem with the classes being full and not e ough of them. Granted I want her switched for different reasons.

powow65
by Kim on Sep. 1, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

Quoting Mom2Jack04:

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

Quoting Mom2Jack04:

LOL ... I swear they deserve a good kick in the ass by thier parents...Sad thing was it wasn't only  girls. There was a boy too...and if that was my son who ever layed a hand on a girl... I would have kicked his little ass!!

LMFAO@ "you & i can always go jack these girls up!"  (hell im down!!)

i would take my kid out of that school, if it GOT worst (not much teacher's & the princapal CAN do).  *we're going to teach our daughter self-defense!* (lmfgdao, she gets both the crazy-fightness from both her "grandmother" *my "mother"* & her dad) so if some one tried some shiz, she's ready lol & she's only 4years old!!

but i think if kids harm other kids there SHOULD BE A DAM LAW or f'in something to STOP THIS!! i hear ALL the dam time on the "TODAY SHOW" that teens kill them-self's over stupid drama shiz from other hating school kids!  if i saw my daughter not her-self & i knew why; i'd go to these DAM kid's parents house & f' them up! i love my daughter!  our kids *to everyone* IS OUR FUTURE!!!  they are going to become our president, our mayor's our doctor's!! our everything!!  

WTF is wrong with these kids?! cant they STOP ACTING LIKE THE DUMB-ASSES FROM MAURY & REALLY BECOME SOMETHING???!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)