Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DIY Divorce... Anyone have any experience or advice........

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hey ladies....

My "husband" and I have been 
separated for 3 years this coming September. I was waiting for the 2 years living apart thing to file. He has no desire to file in his own state (he lives in Tennessee now). With the new laws and being able to file "no fault" I'm wondering how you go about this without hiring a lawyer???

I'm finally ready to get it done and have been trying to figure out how to do it on my own for a while but not really sure where to start. I know I need to fill out a marital 
separation agreement and have it notarized and served to him. After I get that back I can file down at the court house in my county. I get the basics of it all. We have 2 kids together that he doesn't care to see or talk to (his loss) and i will be taking him to court after I file for divorce for custody of them (probably going to file abandonment). We have divided up our belongings as we lived Texas together and I moved back here to be closer to my family and have support.

What happens if he doesn't sign the agreement that I have him served with? I already know he's too lazy to do it and have spoken with his parents and asked for their help (they agreed to help out).

Any advice or help or where I can turn for some help would be really 
appreciated!

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Mom2Jack04
by Melissa on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM

You can file on your own if you know how to properly fill out all the paperwork and pay the filing fees, but honestly the filing fees aren't that cheap either, it's worth the few extra hundred dollars to get it done by a professional.

My divorce cost me $1200 and about $500-$600 of that were the fees involved.  I know I would have missed something had I not gotten a lawyer to represent me.

I do know that once he is served, he has 30 days to respond, if he doesn't it goes into "default" and on your court date you pretty much get anything you ask for.

Mine went into default, my lawyer went to court, I did not have to be there and I got everything requested in the divorce papers, including sole custody!

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:39 PM

sorry dont know--- but here is a hug and a bump

Walker101
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Quoting SamMom912:

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

This...BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)