Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This proves my point.

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:53 PM
  • 4 Replies

As some of you know I drive a school bus. Well I do believe in privacy and all the laws/rules around it but some times it goes to far.

Today I had a child who started to have chest pains and her coloring wasn't right. I had to pull over and she if she was alright. After looking at her, I didn't feel right and had dispatch call an ambulance. I knew from her talking that she had some kind of heart problem. well of course when the ambulance got there all I could tell them was that,she had some kind of roblem. I am sorry but it would have been so much better for her if i knew what it was and could have told them.

Thankfully she is fine now and is home resting.

I just think if a child has a health issue it would be helpful to know that. I know the schools don't need to know either but I made sure Jillian's teachers are aware she has a heart defect, not that I ever expect her to have an issue but on the chance she does the school can tell whoever needs to know.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I totally agree!  Bus drivers should be made aware of health issues so that way they can provide the necessary information to an EMS worker, if needed. 

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:41 PM

I completely agree. I'm sorry you had to go through that today. It had to have been tough.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Ugh!
I am not sure what our school policy is. I know we've had some diabetic kids who need to check their levels before they leave school. However, from my ambulance days, I agree that it makes everyones job easier to know what you are working with.

tiredgranny521
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2011 at 7:08 AM

This has made me think. I am well aware of HIPPA laws but I'd think some general info on who are higher risk kids would be in order.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)