Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

House Rules.. book....

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:54 PM
  • 13 Replies

So I am on page 72... so far Jacob (the main character) is more "sever" in his Aspergers that Johnny is.

Would it be "wrong" of me to strongly suggest that potential teachers read it!

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

Daisypath Vacation tickers

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 22, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Yet again, Picoult left a flipping book just hanging.... no real ending? Drives me batty and I may remove the other couple works of her off ot my to-be-read list.... I don't care how the book ends, I just want an ending!

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2011 at 7:35 PM

LOL.... You didnt like House Rules?  I thought it was sooo interesting. Loved Jacob!!
I TOTALLY AGREE with you--- her endings SUCK. LOL... I;'ve read a bunch and a few- I just decided to stop reading when I got toward the end... cause, well... at least I wouldnt have to deal with HER PSEUDO ending...

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Feb. 22, 2011 at 7:52 PM

No, I don't think so. There is nothing wrong with reccomending a book that is worth reading and will help teachers, especially teachers to understand Autism and the Spectrum. Matter of fact, I'm sure it would be very beneficial.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 22, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

LOL.... You didnt like House Rules?  I thought it was sooo interesting. Loved Jacob!!
I TOTALLY AGREE with you--- her endings SUCK. LOL... I;'ve read a bunch and a few- I just decided to stop reading when I got toward the end... cause, well... at least I wouldnt have to deal with HER PSEUDO ending...

It was interesting, and I do have a 15 yr old Aspie, although he's not prone to the "meltdowns" that Jacob was/is. My 11 yr old melts down and he has nothing.

This one had NO ending.... grrrr.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 22, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

No, I don't think so. There is nothing wrong with reccomending a book that is worth reading and will help teachers, especially teachers to understand Autism and the Spectrum. Matter of fact, I'm sure it would be very beneficial.

I am bringing it up at his IEP meeting in April. Even his resource teacher can't get Johnny at times. Forget about teachers who aren't used to anything outside of normal....

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Feb. 22, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

I am bringing it up at his IEP meeting in April. Even his resource teacher can't get Johnny at times. Forget about teachers who aren't used to anything outside of normal....

See, there ya go! I think it's a fantastic idea! Go Mom!

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2011 at 8:06 PM

maybe they are aspies? LOL...
(not being able to get others?)

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 22, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

maybe they are aspies? LOL...
(not being able to get others?)

I got it :) His 7th grade social studies teacher totally is on the spectrum!

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2011 at 8:14 PM

DS's O/T borrowed it from me as of course she is interested in spectrum stuff dealing with kids with sensory issues...
I didnt realize J was Aspie kid.  Sam was Dx'd as Aspie at 3.5... but at 4.5 PDD-NOS... So I dont know what the F to think..LOL.. All I know is he is quirky and smart and I love him to death. I think they look to label kids too much today...

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 22, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

DS's O/T borrowed it from me as of course she is interested in spectrum stuff dealing with kids with sensory issues...
I didnt realize J was Aspie kid.  Sam was Dx'd as Aspie at 3.5... but at 4.5 PDD-NOS... So I dont know what the F to think..LOL.. All I know is he is quirky and smart and I love him to death. I think they look to label kids too much today...

Yuppers.. Johnny has been "off" since he was an infant.... was finally diagnosised at 12.... it was a HUGE relief for John and I. For years, we knew something was off, but ADD didn't fit... and in desperation 3 rounds of meds (as in 3 different meds over the course of time) made no difference :(
What I liked about House Rules, was how they wrote out all the little quirks taht accompany Aspergers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)