Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Storkbrokers.com

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 7:31 AM
Liz
  • 6 Replies

Site: http://www.storkbrokers.com/

What to do with all that stuff Junior has outgrown? New website wants to help

Looking to uload that old Power Wheels Jeep Wrangler from Fisher-Price - or pick one up?
Fisher-Price/AP/AP
Looking to uload that old Power Wheels Jeep Wrangler from Fisher-Price - or pick one up?

As long as there have been babies, parents have faced the same problem. What do you do with all the stuff you bought or got as gifts after Junior outgrows it?

A newborn website aims to help moms and dads make some extra cash by off-loading those no longer needed pj's and toys while providing some bargains for parents who don't mind purchasing hand-me-downs.

Launched last week, StorkBrokers.com is one of a growing number of online marketplaces exclusively for used baby and kids gear.

Unlike eBay or craigslist, you won't find handbags and lawn mowers on StorkBrokers. But you will find second-hand items like a Go, Diego, Go! Power Wheels Jeep for $40 or a Baby Gap hooded jacket for $15, big discounts off their list prices.

The site also provides a forum for moms and dads to chat online.

"StorkBrokers specifically caters to parents," said Sterling Hawkins, the website's co-founder and a dad of two. "The products are parent-focused. The content is parent-focused. This helps us to ensure that we are getting the right type of traffic and that the users on our site get what they came for."

The fee to sell a product on StorkBrokers is a straight 6% commission. In contrast, eBay has a complicated set of charges, including an insertion fee on top of a sliding scale of commissions from 8% to 15%.

Other parent-centered sites such as ThredUp, HandMeDowns and SwapBabyGoods, are also trying to push their way into the market once ruled by garage or stoop sales and consignment shops.

Sites like these can provide a nice way to save money on wear-once items like holiday dresses, said Sandra Gordon, author of Consumer Reports' series of "Best Baby Products" books.

But some items should not have a second life, she warned.

"There are some things you should not buy used, including car seats and cribs. The safety standards on these items change frequently," Gordon said. "These sites can help you save money, but be careful about what you are buying."

by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 7:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 7:53 AM

I'd still much rather hand off to friends and/or family.  But I guess this is good for when no one wants something... :)

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:25 PM

even then it will be less hassle to just drop it off at the salvation army or the rescue mission for their thrift stores.....

KinKayMom
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2011 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I love giving to the Goodwill, but there are a few things that are very special to me or that I just held on to thinking that I would love to use them with my second baby. Turns out she's nothing like her sister, so now I've got 2 sets of stuff to consider giving away. Friends and Family would be nice but everyone's having boys around me, so I recently listed a few items on Storkbrokers.

I'm hoping to chat with the mom that will benefit from my baby's stuff more than anything. I also hope to find some replacement items that may not be around since I had my first. Like there was this 3 step activity walker I loved and for the added cost of ordering the part, I probably would have been able to find a gently used one on the site, especially for big ticket items you can't find  everyday. 

The tip in this article about not buying certain things used due to frequent safety standard changes is great, but any parent with more than 1 child can tell you that the easiest way to check for safety changes and recalls is to go directly to the manufacturers website and cpsc.gov. That's how I decided what big ticket items I could use a second time. 

mom_skyhigh
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2011 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I find the site very convenient to a busy mom like me as it saves me time  to contact other moms who are also selling used items from another thread because I don't I need to read each post and ask them to email to me an image of their item. In Storkbrokers, images of the items are viewable already plus I can also get and give feedback about the seller. Overall, great site because its specifically for parents. I will use it also to sell some of the items that my kids won't be needing later.

Franticmommy1
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this

LOVE, luv, LOVE Storkbrokers!!!

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Nov. 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

I'd still much rather hand off to friends and/or family.  But I guess this is good for when no one wants something... :)

This along with a local Church,abused shelter or homeless shelter. I despise the whole Amvets, Goodwill thing.

If someone can not afford to shop at Goodwill and such ,there are a ton of people who are in need and can't affrod. This si where I send stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN