Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Milk Baby doll teaches young girls how to breastfeed

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2011 at 4:43 PM
Liz
  • 14 Replies

Is there such a thing as being too young to learn to breast-feed?

The Breast Milk Baby doll, from Berjuan Toys, is specifically designed to teach little girls how to breast-feed an infant and learn about the bond between mother and child.

Along with the baby doll, the Breast Milk Baby comes with a special cloth top for the youngster to wear.  The shirt has flowers painted on it to illustrate where the nipple is and where the girl should guide the doll's mouth to suckle.

The goal of the doll is to spread the message that breast-feeding is a positive health choice for the child – a message that one is never too young to learn, according to the company press release.

"The Breast Milk Baby will revolutionize our nation's attitudes to good infant health, while letting little girls share in the wonder and magic of motherhood," the company writes on its website.

"The Breast Milk Baby lets young girls express their love and affection in the most natural way possible, just like mommy!"

The Berjuan toy company is located in Spain and sells a number of baby dolls as well as the Breast Milk Baby.

The Spanish-language version of the doll, Bebe Gloton, has been available since 2009.

The Breast Milk Baby doll is designed to teach little girls how to breast-feed an infant.
Berjuan
The Breast Milk Baby doll is designed to teach little girls how to breast-feed an infant.

by on Mar. 23, 2011 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tiredgranny521
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Umm. Not sure if this is really a practical toy or age appropriate. Teen pregnancy is an issue already. Wonder if it would spark more teens into early motherhood. While I agree breastfeeding is a great practice, don't think this is the right audience.

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Mar. 23, 2011 at 5:30 PM

wow. I don't think I will be buying that baby doll.Im not sure why we need a doll to teach girls how to breastfeed.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Mar. 23, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Um.. no.... honestly if you want to promote breastfeeding, they learn better by example. We had a friend of the family growing up who bottle fed simple b/c she had never seen another way.
I best friends Daughter, threw away doll bottles, as babies don't need them. She would pretend to nurse her regular baby dolls b/c that it what she saw.
Totally not something I would spend my money on.

lish2127
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2011 at 5:44 PM

I don't know. I mean my kids know all about breastfeeding and they're going to learn even more pretty soon. I think it's important for both girls and boys to know about it so it's not such a taboo issue when they grow up. But, I do think the doll is a little weird. 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2011 at 6:47 PM

I think it is gross....
Not breastfeeding-- but I dont think it is ANYTHING that a child needs to Learn!
What's next STD Barbie?  Well, it is important to learn about the dangers of unprotected sex....

wtf? some things SHOULD be left for ADULTS!

Mom2Jack04
by Melissa on Mar. 23, 2011 at 7:03 PM

ewww

kidlover2
by Member on Mar. 23, 2011 at 8:14 PM

a little too informative

Jillysmom
by Adele on Mar. 23, 2011 at 8:44 PM

no need

lin6278
by New Member on Apr. 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM

i breastfed and pumped until my DD was 13 months and I still say this doll is both odd and innappropriate. I agree with above posters...children learn better from example not from a doll and a tee shirt.

missvickey
by Vickey on Apr. 2, 2011 at 11:10 AM
I saw a similar post in another group and while I initially agreed with everyone here, I did some thinking. I don't know if any one here is old enough to remember Baby Alive when she debuted but I do and I had one. I'm not sure how she differs from todays version but back then she drank, ate (a powder mixed with water to a baby food consistancy) and yes, she sh--, well she filled her diapers. All that "food" has to go someplace...LOL. Nobody thought it was too much for a DOLL to be crapping. Anyway, as I was reminiscing(sp) about Baby Alive a few things thoughts occured. 1. I remember holding my dolls to my brests as a child. We copy what we see. 2. Yes, I held baby alive there too and with her moving mouth can't be too different (technolical advances aside) from this new doll. NO, IT DID NOT make me want to become a teen mother. DD did not come along till I was 27. 3. As I was an adopted child with no siblings, I believe it made it easier to choose breast feeding for my daughter when she came along. I'd seen how to do it, I'd had my practice. I had it covered. Sure it was still a little scary when the time actually came but I was far from emabarrased. After all breastfeeding is the most natural thing in the world, second only to a child mimicking her parent as she learns to become a grown-up. And thats OK because kids can't wait till they are fully grown to learn how to be one. This can have really bad results and as proof I offer up some of the guys I've dated who still act like they are 10. I'm not saying they should learn everything (sex, violence etc...), but whats wrong with learning something so good?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)