Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP! Picked a tick off DS's Testicles! What now?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:11 AM
  • 5 Replies

So when DS woke this AM he was sweaty... (AC is set to get warmer in the night) and my boy is a sweat-er!!
He came into the kitchen naked and asked if he could put on PJ bottoms or did he HAVE to get dressed.
I noticed a little black dot, like a birthmark where his testicles are ---so we went back to his room and I got out spiderman Pj's and decided to just put my nail where the black dot was...and I KNEW it was a tick.. so I scooped it off with my pinky nail and it left a little red dot.

I flushed it!

Do I need to do anything now?
I am CERTAIN it was not there yesterday before camp.
It has been less the 24 hours it was on him. 

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:24 AM

I wish you wouldn't have picked it with your nail. Are you sure you got all of the Tic?

I also wish you would have kept the tic for testing. I hate those useless bugs! I'm glad it was less than 24 hours. UGH! That is scary.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:36 AM

All that is left is a little red dot... I didnt even really have to pull the tick... it really slid off when I pressed in with my pinky nail.. (which isnt very long)
The tcik was not as big as the one in the video-- and there was no brown. All black...size of a poppy seed.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:48 AM

you should have zippy bagged it and popped it in your freezer. at least that is what a friend of mine was told to do last year whne she found one on her son and her dog (and in her case label who's tick was who's).
you can call your pediatricain.... but odds are they will tell you to keep an eye on him.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:12 AM

So I asked the pediatrician and the Drs office would not have done anything with the tick..so that is good news. I was feeling horrid that I flushed it.
She said so many kids get ticks that they dont bother to analyze the ticks anymore it is so prevalent down here. Sometimes the DEP will take the ticks and analyze, BUT, that takes 3 months... (12 weeks...?) so I'd know BEFORE the DEP got back to us.
I have to watch him for 6 weeks but since it was less then 24 hours and the tick had not swelled she "thinks" he'll be fine... but she told me all the symptoms to watch for...

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

So I asked the pediatrician and the Drs office would not have done anything with the tick..so that is good news. I was feeling horrid that I flushed it.
She said so many kids get ticks that they dont bother to analyze the ticks anymore it is so prevalent down here. Sometimes the DEP will take the ticks and analyze, BUT, that takes 3 months... (12 weeks...?) so I'd know BEFORE the DEP got back to us.
I have to watch him for 6 weeks but since it was less then 24 hours and the tick had not swelled she "thinks" he'll be fine... but she told me all the symptoms to watch for...

I hope I didn't make you feel that way. I'm sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)