Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So Sad.... Baseball fan dies

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:44 PM
  • 7 Replies

A Texas Rangers fan attempting to catch a ball thrown by a player fell 20 feet to his death. (/AP Photo)

29 Comments
 Print

Text Size
- / +

By KEVIN DOLAK
July 8, 2011

A Texas baseball fan fell 20 feet to his death after reaching over a barricade for a ball tossed to the crowd by an all-star player, with former President George W. Bush in attendance.

Shannon Stone, 39, a firefighter in Brownwood, Texas, fell head first at Arlington Stadium Thursday night. His young son Cooper was with him and witnessed the incident, according to the Associated Press.

Arlington Fire Department officials said Stone "went into full arrest" while being transported by ambulance. He was pronounced dead at a Fort Worth hospital less than an hour after he fell.

A family friend, Melanie Larose, said Stone had been a firefighter for 18 years. She issued a brief statement on behalf of the family, saying, "The Stone family is devastated by this tragedy."

/AP Photo
A Texas Rangers fan attempting to catch a... View Full Size
PHOTO: A Texas Rangers fan attempting to catch a ball thrown by a player fell 20 feet to his death.
/AP Photo
A Texas Rangers fan attempting to catch a ball thrown by a player fell 20 feet to his death.
Little League Player Dies Watch Video
Baseball Slugfest: 1 Inning, 31 Runs Watch Video
Dads Drop Ball, Kids at Baseball Games Watch Video

"We had a very tragic accident tonight and one of our fans lost their life reaching over the rail trying to get a ball," team president Nolan Ryan said somberly after the Rangers' 6-0 victory over Oakland. "As an organization, and as our team members and our staff, we're very heavy-hearted about this, and our thoughts and prayers go out to the family."

Stone reached for a ball that was tossed into the stands by the Rangers star outfielder Josh Hamiton. Stone's momentum carried him over the short railing and he fell headfirst to the concrete below.

Hamilton is "very distraught over this, as the entire team is," Ryan said.

Ronnie Hargis, a fellow fan seated in the front row Thursday night, had spoken to Stone during the game and tried to grab him as he fell, according the AP.

"He went straight down. I tried to grab him, but I couldn't," Hargis said. "I tried to slow him down a little bit."

Thursday's tragedy marks the second deadly fall at a Major League baseball game this season. A 27-year-old man died in May when he fell 20 feet at a Colorado Rockies game and struck his head on concrete.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:13 PM

That is just tragic.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:23 PM

holy flip!

kathier
by Kathie on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:36 PM
so tragic especially to have it happen in front of his son :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jillysmom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:49 PM

So tragic

remaining_me
by Kay on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:50 PM

omg thats horrible. smh

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:33 PM

That is so very sad and I  feel for his little boy who seen the whole thing happen.

mn24
by New Member on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:47 AM

I saw this story on the TODAY show yesterday, it's just devastating. They need to stop showing the video on TV.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)