Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Death on Superman, Ride of Steel at Darien Lake Theme Park

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:10 PM
  • 9 Replies

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/127015/37/Deadly-Accident-on-Ride-of-Steel-Coaster-at-Darien-Lake

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- A law enforcement source confirms to 2 On Your Side that a person has died in an incident on the Ride of Steel Roller Coaster at Darien Lake Theme Park.

The incident happened at 5:30 p.m. on Friday.

A spokesperson for the park said that a man "came out" of the Ride of Steel ride and "passed away".

Darien Lake Safety experts and Genesee County Sheriff's Department are investigating.  Right now, the ride is shut down and the area near the ride is closed to the public.  The park is remaining open tonight. 

2 On Your Side has a crew at the theme park right now.  We will provide updates on wgrz.com and tonight on Two On Your Side at 10 on MyTV Channel 49 and Channel 2 News Tonight at 11.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Jillysmom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:11 PM

very sad

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Quoting Jillysmom:

very sad

Yes it is. I'm waiting on some more details. I've heard rumors b ut don't want to help spread them.

LadySaphira
by Member on Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:22 AM

That's horrible! Why the hell did they let a man with no legs on that ride? isn't one of the safty devices supposed to go between the legs?  If so that would render them useless to a double amputee.

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Jul. 9, 2011 at 7:51 AM

Quoting LadySaphira:

That's horrible! Why the hell did they let a man with no legs on that ride? isn't one of the safty devices supposed to go between the legs?  If so that would render them useless to a double amputee.

I can't figure out why that was allowed either. Makes absolutely no sense to me. I can't imagine how his family feels either. He survived and IED in Iraq only to die on a roller coaster.

On a side note. I've been on that ride ONCE and that was more than enough for me. I'd also like to add since that ride has been up and running it always has issues and closes.

As of last I read that ride is closed until further investigating is done. IMO, I'd like to see shoulder harnesses on there.

elwalters77
by Erica on Jul. 9, 2011 at 9:25 AM

I was just reading about that. So sad.

elwalters77
by Erica on Jul. 9, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

Quoting LadySaphira:

I can't figure out why that was allowed either. Makes absolutely no sense to me. I can't imagine how his family feels either. He survived and IED in Iraq only to die on a roller coaster.

On a side note. I've been on that ride ONCE and that was more than enough for me. I'd also like to add since that ride has been up and running it always has issues and closes.

As of last I read that ride is closed until further investigating is done. IMO, I'd like to see shoulder harnesses on there.

I would feel a lot safer with a shoulder harness. I rode it once and that was more than enough for me! I'm terrified of heights, but love roller coasters, if they have shoulder harnesses.

suzi960
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 8:41 AM

i agree...

Quoting LadySaphira:

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 10, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I had posted this Friday night, but they didn't have that much info avail.

Nanaleena
by Dar on Jul. 10, 2011 at 2:28 PM

I caught this on the news.  Am waiting to find out how he "fell" out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)