Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

daycare in your home?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:08 PM
  • 4 Replies

Does anyone know how I can find daycare laws for nys? Anything you know would be greatly appreciated!

CafeMom Tickers

~*Cassie*~

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:36 PM

http://www.ocfs.state.ny.us/main/childcare/daycare_regs.asp

That is the state link. I know in NYS you can only 2 at a time (and that inculdes relatives children) without being licensed.

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

That is the state link. I know in NYS you can only 2 at a time (and that inculdes relatives children) without being licensed.

It varies by county on how many kids you can watch. You can watch as many kids as you want as long as they are related to you as in your neice nephew granchild. Your cousins kids would not count as they are not directly related to you. One lady watches her 6 grandkids and she is a legally exempt childcare provider. Which means she is not registered or licensed. Every county has their own child care group. Like Steuben County calls it the child care project. Chemung County calls it child care council. They are under Rochester. They offer the classes you would need to be a family daycare provider.

I was a legally exempt child care provider up until we bought our own home a few years ago. Now Im registered and licensed.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

It varies by county on how many kids you can watch. You can watch as many kids as you want as long as they are related to you as in your neice nephew granchild. Your cousins kids would not count as they are not directly related to you. One lady watches her 6 grandkids and she is a legally exempt childcare provider. Which means she is not registered or licensed. Every county has their own child care group. Like Steuben County calls it the child care project. Chemung County calls it child care council. They are under Rochester. They offer the classes you would need to be a family daycare provider.

I was a legally exempt child care provider up until we bought our own home a few years ago. Now Im registered and licensed.

Our pennysaver under the "child care" runs the following: In NYS, child care providers, who care for more than two children, other than their own, are required to be registered with the NYS Office of Children and Family Services. For more information on Child Care Regulations, parents and providers can call: Child Care Solutions.  

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Our pennysaver under the "child care" runs the following: In NYS, child care providers, who care for more than two children, other than their own, are required to be registered with the NYS Office of Children and Family Services. For more information on Child Care Regulations, parents and providers can call: Child Care Solutions.  

HMM I wonder if they changed it. Before Lily was born I was watching my twin nephews Bren and Al. My nephew Mayson and my niece Maddie. at the same time. The twins are my older sisters boys. Mayson and Maddie are my younger sisters kids. The lady who did daycare acroos the street from me called OCFS on me, saying I was running a daycare out of my apartment and wanted to know if I was registered or licensed. Which at the time I was not. I was legally exempt. A guy from OCFS came out asked for proof that they were my nephews and nieces and left. A few days later I got a letter stating the complaint and their findings. Which is that all children in my care are direct relatives no action required.

I also got information on classes I could take as a legally exempt provider and the food program was available to legally exempt providers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)