Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 people in a one bedroom?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:56 AM
  • 18 Replies

Hey ladies..

So I am looking for an apartment in suffolk county and its pretty tough, my dfs mom has a one bedroom apartment over her garage its pretty small but it might work for a year or so.. are there any laws that say how many people can live in a one bedroom apt.

I hate that New York is so expensive! How do they expect young people to start thier lives here!!!!

Thanks! <3

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Jack04
by Melissa on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I wasn't able to find a definitive answer on that one, though I saw a few people online say they had 5 people in 1 bedroom in NYC....there has to be someone you can call to ask.

jaydonsmommy75
by Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:05 AM

yeah I was searching for days!!! I found nothing about New York !!!

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I don't know...... I think a lot of what is allowed is dependent on what is written in a lease.

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM

When I lived in Queens I had four people in my bedroom and my oldest had his own room.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I would call the Building Department in the town you are looking to "rent" in and ask..(I would also NOT give the address) just the town. Tell them it is a 1 bedroom apt and you wanted to make sure you were not being mislead by the renter (another white lie to protect yourself). There are laws based on sewage requirements.
NY does suck for starting.... Hang in there. Do what you have to do early. Hubby and I bought our first house in westchester after we were married for 420,000 in 1998 -- it is still worth double that now-- even in this lousy market.. It is a tough place to start-- but once you are on the road--- it is sweet sailing... knowing I can sell my house for at least 875-850 is a great feeling and will make my retirement fantastic!!! LOL!!!

jaydonsmommy75
by Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM

lizmarie --> we would put the kids in the bedroom and then just get a nice pull out couch for us to sleep in the bedroom is on the small side so fitting a crib and my sons bed is about all it would really fit ! but theres a nice size closet for all the clothes hah !  

Samsmom --> that is awesome such a good feeling i bet!! We arent in the position to buy right now I am a full time student ( one year left but being due in march its going to make it a bit longer) and a part time office manager df is training to take the NYFD test in january and trying to figure out a back up plan !!

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Quoting jaydonsmommy75:

lizmarie --> we would put the kids in the bedroom and then just get a nice pull out couch for us to sleep in the bedroom is on the small side so fitting a crib and my sons bed is about all it would really fit ! but theres a nice size closet for all the clothes hah !  

Samsmom --> that is awesome such a good feeling i bet!! We arent in the position to buy right now I am a full time student ( one year left but being due in march its going to make it a bit longer) and a part time office manager df is training to take the NYFD test in january and trying to figure out a back up plan !!

JaydonsMom--- I have 20 years on you--- I would HOPE we were not in the same boat..that means I would have been spinning my wheels!!! I Been where you are... you'll do GREAT! You and hubby have a plan!! SUPER!!!! It will be totally worth the sacrifice now was the only point I was trying to make!! You'll get there.

Jillysmom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I think alot depends on the ages and sexes for the children. What area of Suffolk are you looking for?

jaydonsmommy75
by Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Well dfs mom lives in rocky point if we were to find anothier apt I really dont have a preference on where ... My son is 4 and obv the new baby will be here in march

Jillysmom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Quoting jaydonsmommy75:

Well dfs mom lives in rocky point if we were to find anothier apt I really dont have a preference on where ... My son is 4 and obv the new baby will be here in march

i'm about 25 minutes south of there . I will keep my ears open. If you want PM want you are looking to pay each month for rent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)