Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IEP & 504's (edited in red)

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM
  • 59 Replies

We are thinking Jillian might need one. She is having a few issues in some classes and areas and know it will only get harder as she gets older. I'm so lost. How do I go about it?

Ladies sorry I haven't been able to get back to this (never thought it would take off like this either) I will try my best today but its another crazy day, didn't realize dance reheasal time was here.

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM
I don't know what a 504 is. But as for an IEP, I know for here I had to send a letter to the board of ed requestion testing be done due to problems my son was having in school. List your concerns in the letter. Speak to her teacher if you have a good relationship w the teacher, get her input.
Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jillysmom
by Adele on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Quoting Cecelia712:

I don't know what a 504 is. But as for an IEP, I know for here I had to send a letter to the board of ed requestion testing be done due to problems my son was having in school. List your concerns in the letter. Speak to her teacher if you have a good relationship w the teacher, get her input.
Good luck

thanks, I will email all 10 of her teachers. She's on  the high honor roll so i'm afraid the board will laugh but some of her teachers and I see her having issues lately.

BiPolarMomto3
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM
In order to get an IEP in NY state your child has to be tested and fail state testing showing they have a developmental delay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM
See, that's what sucks. Here, she'd get no help at all. Any child who is requesting an iep gets standardized testing and based on that depends on what they are elligible for. So a child on high honor roll would be very unlikely to get anything. You need to be 2 full grade levels behind in order to qualify. But that's here, I don't know the rules and regulations up there. They are very strict here because of budget cuts.

Quoting Jillysmom:

Quoting Cecelia712:

Good luck

thanks, I will email all 10 of her teachers. She's on  the high honor roll so i'm afraid the board will laugh but some of her teachers and I see her having issues lately.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZsMommy
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Let me bring this up...IF you can get an IEP-GET IT-IEP's HAVE to be followed...504's schools can use it as a "suggestion"

Contact your district's school psych and discuss this concern-they'll help pull the team together to have your child assessed.

Good luck!!!

EmilyMarshall
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Good luck

BiPolarMomto3
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:31 PM
It's NY state the standards are going to be the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on May. 1, 2012 at 4:32 AM

IEP is an individual Education Paln. Jess has one and it's done wonders for her. She didn't get hers until 6TH grade. She can also carry that to college with her which is awesome. Only thing is she will have to advocate for her self where as a whole bunch of people do that for her now.

A 504 IMO is generally behavior related. For kids with ADD. It gives them extra time on tests and exams. ETC..

A 504 is garbage in my opinion.

You'll have to call her school psychologist and ask for an evaulation. Good Luck.

BiPolarMomto3
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:20 AM
It's not garbage if your kids need it. My oldest has N IEP and gets extra time on everything and it's not a 504.

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

IEP is an individual Education Paln. Jess has one and it's done wonders for her. She didn't get hers until 6TH grade. She can also carry that to college with her which is awesome. Only thing is she will have to advocate for her self where as a whole bunch of people do that for her now.

A 504 IMO is generally behavior related. For kids with ADD. It gives them extra time on tests and exams. ETC..

A 504 is garbage in my opinion.

You'll have to call her school psychologist and ask for an evaulation. Good Luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:50 AM
Contact. Jillians school pstchologist as well as the special ed office.
Just cause she is hgh honor roll doesnt mean she may not qualify for some help. My bff in hs was and had resource room for exec functioning help (organization issues) and extra time on tests cuase she had trouble interpreting questions... And help with outlining Writing assignments.
My bff is brilliant. If jillian needs help like that it is available and i believe without an iep or dx...The school is there to help her.. It is worth trying. Gl
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)