Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

no good choice... stinks. So mad!

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:50 AM
  • 11 Replies

I hate that there is NO good choice for Sam for next year.

It is really bugging me...and I am so worried that this meeting tomorrow with the school pyschologist isnt going to go well... and then our CSE meeting (whenever THAT might be) is going to go worse.
Im not sleeping.

My best case scenario is that we win lotto and move to a district that has full day intergrated (aka collaborative) kindergarten. 

Ok, lets hit reality here.

In my town we have 2 elementary schools. We have 1/2 day kindergarten.

School A, where my son goes has 2 K classes, Am and Pm. 1 teacher is patient and wonderful (thank goodness Sam has her this year!) the other is grumpy, old and SHOULD have retired... but hasnt.

School B, where my son doesnt go has 2 Kclasses Am,Pm and then 1 special Ed intergrated class (Am and Pm). Because we are NOT in THAT zone.. (mind you, this is the SAME DISTRICT) the special ed department thought it would be better for Sam to go to K in his "home school", rather then be bussed for special ed. They believed with 3 years of preschool.. he would do fine.

He hasnt done fine. His teacher (again, patient, wonderful) has had a rough time.. as have we (getting on the bus is still a challenge. Waking up crying.. "its a school day, isnt it?" tears... his handwriting is horrid. He falls off the chairs, he loses it in class crying, frustrated... he has developed nervous tic's and has such problems transitioning that he has developed his own routine for transitions... (he goes to the bathroom before every change in the class-- FYI- the bathroom is IN the K class) but it is easier for him to go to reading, then bathroom, then math... then to go from reading to math.. so he has developed this "comfort" routine.
he can do the academic work. can read, not just the words, but with expression. He can do 1st grade math. Understands division as well as multiples... (ie 31 is 3 10's and 1 one) 

So....moving on.
Next year, since we ONLY have 1/2 day here... it is the missing half of Kindergarten work coupled with ALL of first grade work. (that physically he cant DO- the handwriting, the stress?)

Retention:
Re do Kindergarten in HIS HOME SCHOOL in witchy teachers class? NO.
Re do Kindergarten in special ed class in other school (bussing? will it be an issue cause academically Sam looks fine--- but... social, emotional, physically he cant hack it!!)
Go to a different private school for full day K... but then have to pick him up for o/t, p/t, speech services at school?
Move him to intergrated 1st grade? (where he can continue with the nervous tic's and transitioning issues? and stress himself out...?)

wrap him in bubble wrap and put him away in back of closet for a year?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
buffalove23
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Could you drive him to the integrated k? I'm sure his teacher this year is awesome but I'm hoping the integrated class is smaller and could give him more one on one time. is there a way you could let him try a day in integrated 1st grade before the end of the year? I would just be worried in a catholic school they wouldn't have the resources to work with him while he was there is all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cecelia712
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I wish I had a magical answer for you. I know how hard all the decisions are. And honestly, I quite often feel as tho I've made the wrong choices. But, if you feel he's not ready for 1st grade don't push him because if he can't handle it due to maturity-ish reasons his academic life will ALWAYS be a struggle. Could you drive him to the other school? I feel catholic schools aren't exactly the way to go. My oldest was in catholic school for K and it was horrible! They have zero patience for kids with any sort of special needs in my experience. And I don't think Sam would do well with all the traveling in that scenario. Not an easy decision so good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on May. 2, 2012 at 12:28 PM

we only offer 1 or 2 DK classes (developmental K) out of our 5 elementary schools.... they bus our kids where they can get the BEST education.

Jennifair
by Jen on May. 2, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Is there anyway that you can get him in the Specail Ed class( even though it's outta your zoning) since the 3 years of preschool didn't work? I'm not really up on all the school rules and stuff ,since Alice is only in Preschool. That's why I never give my input. 

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on May. 2, 2012 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

The busing for the other school shouldn't be an issue. They SHOULD provide it, as that is the program that FITS his needs.
Ideally it should be a "smaller" bus with fewer studnets (many of whom might have needs) and an aid.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

The busing for the other school shouldn't be an issue. They SHOULD provide it, as that is the program that FITS his needs.
Ideally it should be a "smaller" bus with fewer studnets (many of whom might have needs) and an aid.

I feel like again... that is an ok choice. To retain him... to place him in an INT class..but here is my problem.. Sam likes routine, Sam KNOWS that school A is HIS school. He knows that school B ISNT his school... So lets pick him up after a year of teaching him that school A is his...there is a comfort level there...and school B is his friends (K, J and E-- who are all moving to 1st grade)
It just bugs me that he cant get what he needs in his home school... and JUST cause my house is on THIS street-- (my school taxes are the same as K,J and E's mom's, LOL)
It is JUST yet another "change" THEN, we BUS him for another year of K... and foir firrst grade HE WILL GO BACK TO HIS HOME SCHOOL for INT 1st grade in HIS HOME SCHOOL. WTF?
These are the kids with issues who honestly shouldnt be moving all around. LOL... cant the grown ups move? Shouldnt it be that the INT K class has an AM class at school B and a PM class at School A.
Am I really the FIRST person to have this idea? (FYI- there is PLENTY of room in Sams current school.. space isnt an issue). LOL

I sound like I am mad... but I am laughing here... LOL....

Jennifair
by Jen on May. 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

lol I'm half kidding and half not when I say this......... Run for school board? lol 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Jennifair:

lol I'm half kidding and half not when I say this......... Run for school board? lol 

I hate people... there is no way Id win..and I am super over qualified with common sense, a WANT to help people and a love for all children. LOL
Off to get Sam from school, ot and a playdate. fun.

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on May. 2, 2012 at 2:50 PM
2 moms liked this

I think we should demand that teachers and anybody else involved in the schools take a common sense test. Or maybe they do if you have common sense you don't make the cut.

Im sorry you're 100% right all of the options suck.

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on May. 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I'm thinking the school in the other district if you can drive him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)