Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

whew.. what a day.. school psychologist AND Endo appt.

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:56 PM
  • 10 Replies

We met with the school psychologist today.
Interesting. They did ALL these tests on Sam who is 5 years 7 months old.... So interesting that most of his testing he scores at at 7:2. (7 years, 2 months old...) verbal, cognitive, math, reading, problem solving...all super high and superior levels.... now spacial planning and recreating patterns with a pencil, he scores 4:1. So he is 99.6% for academics... except for the 16.7% for those poor areas... Now he did have 1:1 for all this testing and for some of it couldn't physically DO the test.. like the spelling, he could NOT use the pencil to write the letters, but ask him to spell and he can tell you the letters..YOU have to write it...and the boy cant make a triangle.. interesting.. but can do 1st grade math! LOL!!!
and they ARE going to push the special education dept of our district to classify him for special needs classification so he can be in a special ed class with the support he needs.
so hubby and I can decide if we want him retained for special ed K or push thru to special ed 1st grade.

THEN, at 2:00pm we went to the Endocrinologist. Her math has Sam at 5'9. (not a bad height for a guy... WAY better then the 5'6 that our pediatrician told us). They took 4 more vials of blood... (POOR SAM!) to test more stuff to make sure his thyroid and pituitary gland are working well.. as well as get info on 2 proteins your body produces to grow.. and we had a SUPER cool x ray of his hand (Sam thought this was the coolest thing to see his bones and was asking the tech tons of questions) so the Dr can look at his growth platelets... to see how he is growing and how "old" his body is... late bloomer vs. early bloomer...

We will have more info in 7-10 days.

Interesting.

by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Emschick38
by Ali on May. 3, 2012 at 9:57 PM

fingers crossed for good reports and answers

Jennifair
by Jen on May. 3, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Sounds kinda promising....... I'll be thinking positive thoughts =) 

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on May. 3, 2012 at 10:26 PM
CJ had the same testing and X-ray done 2 yrs ago. He too thought the X-ray was great, and his tech (who did the zillion sonograms on Alex) let him see it. Showed that his body is about 2 yrs behind in growth, so then we did the bloodwork (which was normal). CJ is estimated to only be 5'6".

As far as the school testing, glad to hear they are moving forward.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizmarie1975
by Liz on May. 3, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Today seemed like a better day. I'm glad you got some good news.

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:43 PM
im glad the school meeting went well. if you don't mind a bit of advice, id keep him back a year. Gives him time to adjust and mature a little more.
Don't you wish all test results were an hour or less? Waiting sucks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on May. 4, 2012 at 4:53 AM

It sounds like you got some good news today. Hopefully the school can get Sam the help he needs.

Nick was testing beyond his age as well. He just couldn't get it from his head to the paper. It got lost somewhere between. His writing is still horrid at best. They gave him a lap top for writing assignments.

I hope his test results come back fine.

Jillysmom
Can someone tell me how to change my kids picture,please
Today at 2:40 PM
by Adele on May. 4, 2012 at 6:05 AM

soons interesting. See even kids with issues are super super, they just have their our way of showing it.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:06 AM
Quoting Mom2jngnc:

CJ had the same testing and X-ray done 2 yrs ago. He too thought the X-ray was great, and his tech (who did the zillion sonograms on Alex) let him see it. Showed that his body is about 2 yrs behind in growth, so then we did the bloodwork (which was normal). CJ is estimated to only be 5'6".

Hope i didnt hurt your feeling or cjs with my height comment. Since hubby is over 6 feet.. And my dad is 5'10 5'11 it just doesnt make much sence for sam to only be 5'6... Since no one but me is that little.(. And my mom smoked.. So honestly, i think i would have seen at least 5'3. Lol if i didnt have the 2nd hand smoke. Lol)
I dont think 5'6 is a bad height... My bff is a guy and 5'6... It just was not making sence for sam.

Interesting about the 2 year growth delay... So he will grow until he is 19... she said typically guys hit their max height at 17... Unless body shows this delay...our bodys arer sooo weird arent they?! Just amazing and weird.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:08 AM
Quoting Cecelia712:

im glad the school meeting went well. if you don't mind a bit of advice, id keep him back a year. Gives him time to adjust and mature a little more.
Don't you wish all test results were an hour or less? Waiting sucks!

I never mind advice. Thanks!
I do want to retain him. Hubby is not sure. He thinks sam being bored with the academic part of school will cause more problems next year if he only does 1/2 day k again. I do see hubbys part... But, i also see how immature sam is compared to his peers. Yesterday, my friend j had to drop her son off in the afternoon for 1.5 hours to go do something with her daughter. Now, sam did have a rough day.. But he was a total a$$ with self regulation issues, immature behavior. Another year would def. do him good! Lol
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on May. 4, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Hope i didnt hurt your feeling or cjs with my height comment. Since hubby is over 6 feet.. And my dad is 5'10 5'11 it just doesnt make much sence for sam to only be 5'6... Since no one but me is that little.(. And my mom smoked.. So honestly, i think i would have seen at least 5'3. Lol if i didnt have the 2nd hand smoke. Lol)
I dont think 5'6 is a bad height... My bff is a guy and 5'6... It just was not making sence for sam.

Interesting about the 2 year growth delay... So he will grow until he is 19... she said typically guys hit their max height at 17... Unless body shows this delay...our bodys arer sooo weird arent they?! Just amazing and weird.

No harm done. With John at 6'2" and my brother going from 6"0 to 6'5" and me at 5'4", he is expected to be taller too.

Yes, actually if he doens't hit a marked growth spurt by 13 to call and get him back in. Figures it will take about a year, so he might be fine by the time she can see him, but she wants to do better safe than sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)