Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Ok, I am all in support of.....

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM
  • 20 Replies

Safelink.com
For anyone not familiar with it, it gives people who recieve certain benefits (medicaid, food stamps, HEAP... I am really not sure) a free cell phone. They get 250 min. a month total.
My mother got one, which whoo, as the last time her car broke down she had to walk several blocks with her bad back to call me from a pay phone (which are harder and harder to find).
Friday, yesterday and today, I get calls from the bio-Mom.... from a new cell phone #. I flat out ask her today "Is this a new number?" as she is well over due for a phone # change (at one poitn it was almost every other week I was getting called by a new number).
She tells me it's her "Obama phone." Don't call it, I am waiting to get my sim card on my other phone fixed.

So, you can pay for a cell phone, be irresponsible with your minutes and now you managed to get a free one?

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Yeah I know a few people that live in Govt housing have a droid razor and the safe link phone that they gave to their kids.

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM
3 moms liked this
Unfortunately there will always be people who deserve the help and the people who simply abuse it. It sucks but if you believe in karma, hopefully they will all get what is coming to them. The people who abuse it are the ones that give the entire population of the people who receive any sort of assistance a bad reputation. Not all people are lowlifes who abuse the system, but the ones who do, do it so blatantly its disgusting!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I am all for helping those that really do try to help themselves to the best of their abilities... and I am also truly disgusted by people who "get" what they can "get" on other peoples hard work.
There are plenty of things that I do without...and we HAVE money...but if I spent it all on "luxuries" that less fortunate people are GIVEN I wouldn't be able to send my kid to college/camp/pay my taxes (so they continue to get their free stuff!) . It really bothers me to hear/see people doing thinks like that.... its disgraceful.
mind you Im not complaing about being lucky that I can save to send Sam to college/camp and pay my taxes.. Im freaking thrilled! LOL

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM
I agree with the "luxury" part of this. We know of people who eat out and do take out several days a week, always have the latest trend on everything, yet they live paycheck to paycheck with no savings at all. In the summer they will go to amusement parks and water parks nearly every weekend spending $100's. While we could afford those things we don't "splurge" like that because we have 3 kids to save for. Schooling, activites, etc... some people truly have no mind for $$.

Quoting SamMom912:

I am all for helping those that really do try to help themselves to the best of their abilities... and I am also truly disgusted by people who "get" what they can "get" on other peoples hard work.
There are plenty of things that I do without...and we HAVE money...but if I spent it all on "luxuries" that less fortunate people are GIVEN I wouldn't be able to send my kid to college/camp/pay my taxes (so they continue to get their free stuff!) . It really bothers me to hear/see people doing thinks like that.... its disgraceful.
mind you Im not complaing about being lucky that I can save to send Sam to college/camp and pay my taxes.. Im freaking thrilled! LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Quoting Cecelia712:

I agree with the "luxury" part of this. We know of people who eat out and do take out several days a week, always have the latest trend on everything, yet they live paycheck to paycheck with no savings at all. In the summer they will go to amusement parks and water parks nearly every weekend spending $100's. While we could afford those things we don't "splurge" like that because we have 3 kids to save for. Schooling, activites, etc... some people truly have no mind for $$.

Quoting SamMom912:

I know... it truly boggles my mind sometimes. I mean, I get that we all spend on what we think is important... but sometimes with some of my friends I scratch my head and think 'really?'...
I'm pretty (ok VERY) frugal. LOL  and my friends will sometimes laugh at me when I'm miserly about something... but honestly, I'd rather be laughed at for being what I think is smart with my money-- then to be the one who at the end of the day will truly be struggling...
I have the things I need and money is going in the bank. So, again, I DO feel for people who DONT have the things they NEED... BUT, I HARDLY believe a Droid is a NECESSITY!

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Jun. 11, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I'm not for the "Obama Phones". I think it's absolute BS and a waste of tax payer dollars!

I will leave my comments there as they are not kind.

Jillysmom
by Adele on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:39 PM

meanwhile my mom has no landline as she can't afford it and was told she's not able to get one of these. All she gets is SS. So I have a phone on my line for her.

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Oh make no mistake the free phones have been going way longer than Obama's been in office. Im talking late 90's early 2000's. A lady I babysat for had free telephone service, she also got a free taxi ride to  drop off and pick up her kids from school to and from her job. Then when she got her own car the state would pay for it to get fixed cause she decided to work at a pizza place delivering pizza. Wheels for work is still going on. Sadly the woman still only works part time. Still gets assistance. I see every once in a while.

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

I'm not for the "Obama Phones". I think it's absolute BS and a waste of tax payer dollars!

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:19 AM

I'm sure it's been going on longer than Obama. I know all about wheels for work too because Ron has worked on them before. IMO, the state is in a mess because of all of this free stuff. But, what do I know?

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

Oh make no mistake the free phones have been going way longer than Obama's been in office. Im talking late 90's early 2000's. A lady I babysat for had free telephone service, she also got a free taxi ride to  drop off and pick up her kids from school to and from her job. Then when she got her own car the state would pay for it to get fixed cause she decided to work at a pizza place delivering pizza. Wheels for work is still going on. Sadly the woman still only works part time. Still gets assistance. I see every once in a while.

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:22 AM
1 mom liked this

My question is? When are people going to start doing for themselves?

Don't get me wrong, yes there are people who need help and I am all for it. But what I am not for is a life time of dependency on such services.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN