Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Ugh, what a day

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Liz
  • 11 Replies

Yesterday morning, Naiya came downstairs and told me that her back hurt. I really didn't pay too much mind to her because sometimes things hurt when she wants attention. But I noticed that she really didn't move off the sofa and she didn't really seem to be very hungry.

At 10:30 or so I went to take a shower and she followed me upstairs just about crying because her side was hurting her everytime she breathed.  I carried her downstairs and Ahsmi and I tried to figure it out. We couldn't come up with anything that would be causing it. We realized that we didn't think she had pooped the day before and Naiya is a very regular pooper. So I thought I would go out and get some stool softener hoping that would help things out. When I got back from the supermarket she was asleep on the sofa and Ahsmi was up taking a shower.

She woke up a little after I got home and seemed better. We were supposed to be going to a graduation party but things were on hold because of her. She said she wanted to go to the party and I thought we would go and I would give her the medicine there. Unfortunately, within minutes of making that decision she was on the floor in so much pain that she was screaming. I won't lie...I was scared.

We decided that I would take her to the hospital because I would rather get there and have them tell me she just needs to poop than keep her home and it be something more serious.

Got her to the ER, they took her in within 5 minutes, triaged her where they asked me if she had falled or bumped into anything but I said no because I was only thinking of Saturday, then sent her back to a room. The doctor came in, said he wanted to send her for a chest xray to rule out her kidneys/lung/rib fracture. As she was getting out of the bed to get the chest xray done I remembered she had fallen at gymnastics, on Friday evening, but she had only complained about hurting her finger so it didn't even cross my mind at first.

Anyway, she goes back to her room, doctor comes in after a long while, and I told him what I remembered about Friday. He then scheduled her for something called a rib series. They diagnosed her with costochondritis which is inflammation of the cartilage that attaches the ribs to the breastbone.

She came home, was super excited at her hospital stay, and then promptly fell asleep for about 2-3 hours. Woke up with a fever. Blech. Finally got her to take some medicine around 3:00 this morning and she woke up around 7:30 feeling much better. I gave her another shot of Tylenol and sent her off to camp. I would have kept her home but it was the first day and she didn't want to miss anything. She knew that she wasn't allowed to go in the pool so she could rest her side but it's raining out today so there won't be any pool time.

At least if this was going to happen, it happened at a time when regular gymnastics classes are finished for the summer and she has a week off before cheer practice resumes.

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Wow. Good thing you brought her in. My oldest often has his "episodes" where he likes to complain also. It makes it so hard for us to know when somethings really wrong! But good call on your part. I'm glad she's feeling better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Poor child :) glad it was nothing too serious

Jennifair
by Jen on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM

poor Naiya! Happy she's feeling better 

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:53 PM

OUCH. I'm happy she is feelig better.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Quoting Cecelia712:

Wow. Good thing you brought her in. My oldest often has his "episodes" where he likes to complain also. It makes it so hard for us to know when somethings really wrong! But good call on your part. I'm glad she's feeling better!

It IS so hard to decide when they are just complaining and when it is real!! I still feel terribly guilty for last summer when Sam was "so tired" all the time...and all those "growing pains" that I chalked it up to... only to have him get PALSY and 2nd STAGE LYMES!

Glad you took her. Sorry it was scary... (I hate that feeling)! and super glad she went to camp today!!!
So happy she is feeling better!

Jillysmom
by Adele on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Hope she heals quickly

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Awe! Poor Naiya. I'm glad that's all it is and hope she heals fast! broken or bruised ribs are very painful.

lish2127
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Poor Naiya...it's hard to see them in actual pain and not know why...but poor you too. Dang Liz you've had a lot going on. I hope things settle down for you and everyone is feeling better!

elwalters77
by Erica on Jun. 26, 2012 at 6:27 AM
Poor girl. Glad you got it figured out!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:13 AM

How did Naiya do yesterday? How is she feeling?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)