Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

do i have my expectations too high?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:46 AM
  • 23 Replies

I bought Alex, Carly and CJ the summer bridge books for the summer. 

Carly acts like it is a race to see who can do the most pages a day. Now the books are set up for one page (front and back per day). Seeing how she is at her Moms 2 days, I let her do more than just one if she wants

However, she gets real sloppy with her letter practice. Rushing through things was one of her problems with kindergarten last year. She would rush and only do things half way though. 

So I have been erasing the writing and having her redo it, reminding her to take her time.

I got to thinking that the writing is on the backside of the page, and that towards the end of the lines, the "spine" gets in the way. So I pulled the pages out, she cried. Got over it and did the K's, but all her k's looked like K so I erased and had her take her time. 

HOLY TEARS batman. 

I know in the big picture I am not expecting too much of her, as this is what teachers expect, but I am going to be doomed. I am going to have another first day of conferences meeting for her. (which is never a good thing, lol)

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lish2127
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Maybe you can sit with her everyday for a few minutes and give her your attention and help her do things slowly and neatly? Maybe have her do other hands-on projects that require taking her time and attention, like the little bead things they put on the little peg things (lol)

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM
I say no. She's going to have to learn to do it properly anyway. Letting her practice the wrong way is just a waste of time and will only make things worse when she has to relearn how to do it the correct way. I make my son redo things all the time.
Do you remind her that if she doesn't do it right you'll make her redo it? I remind him before and during !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Quoting lish2127:

Maybe you can sit with her everyday for a few minutes and give her your attention and help her do things slowly and neatly? Maybe have her do other hands-on projects that require taking her time and attention, like the little bead things they put on the little peg things (lol)

I sit with them. I have her on one side and Alex on the other. I have to ping pong between them with directions & tips. 

CJ is off on his own, and comes back for me to correct.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Quoting Cecelia712:

I say no. She's going to have to learn to do it properly anyway. Letting her practice the wrong way is just a waste of time and will only make things worse when she has to relearn how to do it the correct way. I make my son redo things all the time.
Do you remind her that if she doesn't do it right you'll make her redo it? I remind him before and during !

Yes,

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Id keep reminding her slow and steady wins the race... not the rabbit. We take our time.. we do things right the first time.....
I dont think it is wrong to have her do them the right way. Id watch her do the first 2... then let her do 2 herself reminding her that if they are incorrect, she'll need to erase them and do them again. Then walk away... give her a few minutes to work them out on her own, then check to make sure those 2 are right...

Perhaps a reward (lollypop?) for doing them all properly for the first few times as positive reinforcement?
I think you are right--- there is NO REASON to practice things the wrong way. THAT is a waste of time and effort.

Maybe at the beginning you can ask her to write anything she wants any way she wants... so she gets the create crap out of the way and so she can focus... You arent concerned about any ADD or ADHD?

Another good tip to help kids focus and take their time is having them move something heavy...(push on a wall... ) or a deep pressure hug to reorgainze... another fun one is to take a straw and blow a cotton ball across a wood or tile floor... see if these make a difference in her time and not losing focus???

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

Id keep reminding her slow and steady wins the race... not the rabbit. We take our time.. we do things right the first time.....
I dont think it is wrong to have her do them the right way. Id watch her do the first 2... then let her do 2 herself reminding her that if they are incorrect, she'll need to erase them and do them again. Then walk away... give her a few minutes to work them out on her own, then check to make sure those 2 are right...

Perhaps a reward (lollypop?) for doing them all properly for the first few times as positive reinforcement?
I think you are right--- there is NO REASON to practice things the wrong way. THAT is a waste of time and effort.

Maybe at the beginning you can ask her to write anything she wants any way she wants... so she gets the create crap out of the way and so she can focus... You arent concerned about any ADD or ADHD?

Another good tip to help kids focus and take their time is having them move something heavy...(push on a wall... ) or a deep pressure hug to reorgainze... another fun one is to take a straw and blow a cotton ball across a wood or tile floor... see if these make a difference in her time and not losing focus???

Not add/adhd, but she reminds John and I of Johnny in frightening ways. 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Then def. try those therapys see if they help her.
Ugh... Had.. Do you think she is spectrumy? Controlling? Sensory issues?
powow65
by Kim on Jun. 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM
good luck. *hugs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jun. 27, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Then def. try those therapys see if they help her.
Ugh... Had.. Do you think she is spectrumy? Controlling? Sensory issues?

spectrumy. 
the kinder teacher could see where I was coming from, but she doesn't think that is it. which leaves the weekend and that irregularness. 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Ive heard that kids who are semi neglected can come across as spectrumy... You know, cause their lives are so npredictible and otc... I certainly think you help to keep her very grounded! Hugs, poor carley... Ugh, and poor lil one on the way... Sigh... I just dont get it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN