Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

All you 1st grade and up moms...(books)

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:54 AM
  • 15 Replies

Looking for ideas for books for Dylan to read. He is going into 2nd but reads 3rd grade level. And is devouring our library's supply. They rearranged their shelves and cleaned out a TON of books. With summer here, the shelves have been especially empty. Even so he has read pretty much all the Magic School Bus, Cam Jansen, Judy Moody and Stink books, Junie B. Jones, working on Nancy Drew, some Clementine, Ivy and Bean, Nate the Great, still working on Magic Tree house books, and many more fiction and nonfiction books and comics. I won't let him read Diary of a Wimpy Kid yet although he does on poptropica.

What are some other series, authors, or random books appropriate for a young 6 almost 7 yr old? Thanks

by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bethy16
by Beth on Aug. 11, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Captain underpants, my son loves Encyclopedia Brown books! He is now reading the Percy Jackson books.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elwalters77
by Erica on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:09 AM
What about the classic Judy Blume books, like Superfudge?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Nelson
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:15 AM
Try fear street. Its a good fun series, thrilling without being scary. My fifth grader was an early reader also. He started this series at your sons age and still enjoys rereading them today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happy2bmom25
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Matt Christopher writes books fiction books about different sports. Is your son into non fiction at all? that may be an area that regardless of his level, he may never exhaust at the library.

the percy jackson may be too much for him right now, but keep them in mind for the future! there are the 39 clues, hardy boys and the cs lewis books that he may enjoy in a year or two, or you could read those to him!

My boys love almost any graphic novel! they read a lot of pokemon and bionicles books.

congratulations on having a great reader!!!

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:28 AM
elmer and the dragon books.. They are old.. But total classics! The Droon series.. (science fiction and too scary for sam, but he is a total sis! ) zack files by greenburg series, akimbo series by smith.. There are a bunch of sports books Sam liked... Goof off goalie was one.. (sam remembered, not me) thee are 6 i think.. They are cute! Jigsaw jones by preller series,
These are all entering 3rd grade level..
Hope this helps!
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Geronimo Stilton books (I haven't read them but have a ton)
Bailey School Monsters
Judy Blume
Beverly Clearly
JErry Spinelli (sp)

Matt Christopher and Dan Gutman write sport based books 

lish2127
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM

thanks for all the suggestions...I will look them all up

MELRN
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:51 PM

My DD LOVES Diary of a Whimpy kid series  (she's read like 3)  I think though otherwise I'm not much of a help b/c we are on to Judy Blume Series now and that might be boring for your son

how about the Non fiction series of "who was _____?"   its a bit tough reading but it is grade level for 3rd grade  my DD read Who was Abe Lincoln?"  and "Who was George Washington?"  and is currently ordereing who was Rosa Parks?   the series has 25 books on historical people and the 2 we've read were AWSOME

Msgme
by Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:14 AM

My kids really enjoyed the Bailey school kids series  (so did i )   My son was also a big fan of the Bone books. They are more like comic meets book but he really enjoyed them.  maybe try some classics  like Charlottes web or alice in wonderland. 

Bethy16
by Beth on Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Oh yes charlottes web! My son and o read it this year ( he was in 2nd grade) and he LOVED it. I was also thinking Shel Silverstein books, kind of like poems for kids. Matt Christopher is also great!

Quoting Msgme:

My kids really enjoyed the Bailey school kids series  (so did i )   My son was also a big fan of the Bone books. They are more like comic meets book but he really enjoyed them.  maybe try some classics  like Charlottes web or alice in wonderland. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)