Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

NYC Board of Health approves ban on sale of sugary drinks over 16 ounces

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Liz
  • 7 Replies

The size of your soda just shrank.

The city Board of Health voted Thursday to ban super-sized sugary drinks at restaurants and concession stands.

Unless blocked by a judge, the ban will go into effect in six months.

Sugary beverages will now be limited to 16 ounces after the board voted 8-0, with one abstention, to approve Mayor Bloomberg’s signature proposal.

The controversial plan, which is meant to curb obesity, came under withering criticism from the beverage industry and some civil liberties groups.

The restriction applies only to establishments that receive letter grades from the Health Department. That means certain outlets, including 7-Eleven and its Big Gulp, are exempt.

There was little doubt that the Board of Health, whose members were appointed by Bloomberg, would stand in the way of the mayor’s plan. One member, Sixto Caro, opted to abstain from voting.

It is the latest in the Bloomberg administration’s wide-ranging plan to make the city healthier. Previous initiatives include a ban on public smoking and the posting of calorie counts in restaurants.

by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Whew! Don't know what I'd do without my daily Big Gulp.

Quote:

That means certain outlets, including 7-Eleven and its Big Gulp, are exempt.

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Its going to take a lot more than a ban on extra large sugary drinks to help the obesity issue. What about super sized value meals?? Large pizzas?? Cakes, cookies, brownies, desserts in general?? So its a waste of time and everything else to ban a drink size.
I for one drink all day long. I alternate soda and water. After 5 I alternate wine and water but shhhh! I can't go more than an hour without a drink. Id simply buy 2 drinks if I felt 1 wasn't enough. So he's not really preventing anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sexydiva4279
by New Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Cecelia712 I totally agree with you. The drinks aren't as bad as the giant burgers and Other food items. Do people really need 3 burger patties on one bun?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this

That annoys me. 
When we do buy a soda, we usually get the biggest avail. Not because one person is going to drink it all. But a 32 oz soda at the sandwich shop near Times Square was cheaper than John and I each getting a 16 oz.
I carry a package of small cups in the back of my truck, that we can pour servings of a 44 oz soda into for everyone.

I really think they need to leave it up to people.

What they should do is ban diet..... there is a chemical in the artifical sweetner that actually has you crave more sugar. How is that better? 

LovingMommyh00d
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I wish he would be more focused on making produce cheaper and more available to everyone than banning big cups.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MELRN
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM

why can't people be responsible for themselves  and their own well being why does the Mayor have to be the Nanny?  how about making the cost of processed foods very high and the cost of fresh fruits, veggies and organic meats low?  isn't that a better plan?

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Quoting MELRN:

why can't people be responsible for themselves  and their own well being why does the Mayor have to be the Nanny?  how about making the cost of processed foods very high and the cost of fresh fruits, veggies and organic meats low?  isn't that a better plan?

Yes but the people donating money to his campaign fund would not like that idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)