Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Did You Reject Eye Drops?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM
  • 34 Replies

I really feel this is a completely unecessary procedure for my baby. According to the hospital they are "obligated" to report me to child protective services if I so choose to reject the eye drops.

Have any of you chosen to reject the eye drops? Were you reported? What happened?

Thanks@

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM

My children all had it done to prevent infection. If you do a search on the group here (hover over more above, and it will drop down a menu). You will find the at least 2 other people have asked and I linked everything for NYS DOH on the matter. 

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:39 AM

My children received them.

lish2127
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I don't think it's easy for any of us to see our babies receive anything foreign like the drops, immunizations, medicine, etc especially as a new mom, but the drops are mandated by the Dept of Health and yes I've heard you will be reported if you refuse them. The drops are not the same as immunizations that you might be able to get out of with a religious exemption. My kids all had the drops.

moltocomeamore
by New Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM
my question isn't on the laws of the matter, its more about what other moms who rejected it (specifically in ny) went through. If cps did show up, what happened, etc.
lish2127
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I don't know anyone who has refused in a hospital so I don't know what happens. You could call the hospital and ask them....I'm sure they will try to educate you on why it's important, but they might tell you what happens if you refuse. A friend of mine said the only way she could avoid it was to have a home birth with a midwife who is ok with not administering them. 

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:52 PM
You can call cps to find out what happens. I don't know anybody who rejects them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I also don't know anyone who rejected them. 

You could also follow the links I shared, and private message the moms to see if they did reject them and if so what happened. 

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Nope, I didn't.

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:38 PM
To be honest, I never even knew my kids received eye drops till cafe mom! The irony in that?? I'm a certified ophthalmology tech! But since I never had to do rounds except for emergencies I guess it never came up.
May I ask why you plan on refusing them? Its not really a procedure, just a quick application of medicine to their eyes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN