Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Did You Reject Eye Drops?

I really feel this is a completely unecessary procedure for my baby. According to the hospital they are "obligated" to report me to child protective services if I so choose to reject the eye drops.

Have any of you chosen to reject the eye drops? Were you reported? What happened?

Thanks@

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
moltocomeamore
by New Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:52 PM
There is no need for any sort of unecessary chemical to be administered to my kid. All the research I've done has led me to the conclusion it isn't something I feel my child needs. I'm not one of those hippy no drugs people, but some aren't needed, and this I feel is one of them.
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I don't get refusing them! To me it makes ZERO sense. 

They are admistered to prevent infections from the passage through the birth canal. 

http://childbirth.amuchbetterway.com/newborn-baby-eye-drops-explained/

lish2127
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Quoting moltocomeamore:

There is no need for any sort of unecessary chemical to be administered to my kid. All the research I've done has led me to the conclusion it isn't something I feel my child needs. I'm not one of those hippy no drugs people, but some aren't needed, and this I feel is one of them.

That may be true, but unless you are prepared to go to court, hire a lawyer, and possibly have your child taken away there really is nothing you can do. The only option I know of is to have a home birth....which many people do.

moltocomeamore
by New Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Quoting lish2127:

Quoting moltocomeamore:

That may be true, but unless you are prepared to go to court, hire a lawyer, and possibly have your child taken away there really is nothing you can do. The only option I know of is to have a home birth....which many people do.

well I wouldn't lose my kid over something like this, I would suck it up and be unhappy about it. I was hoping to hear that CPS showed up, questioned you, then let it go. It isn't a matter that is worth quite that much hassle.

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM
If cps is notified its not just a matter of one visit and done. If they are notified you will have an open case on you for 90 days in which they can investigate you and drop in to check on you and the baby.
Granted this isn't a case of abuse per say, but I don't think they have a different set of rules for different cases. It would simply be to too confusing that way so they are more of a rules are rules organization.

Quoting moltocomeamore:

Quoting lish2127:

Quoting moltocomeamore:

well I wouldn't lose my kid over something like this, I would suck it up and be unhappy about it. I was hoping to hear that CPS showed up, questioned you, then let it go. It isn't a matter that is worth quite that much hassle.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lish2127
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I'm pretty sure they will remove the child from parental custody long enough to administer the vit k and eye goop, then returm the child with your name on their followup open case list. You can't sue the hospitals, doctors, or nurses either for administering it against your consent.

MELRN
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM

you can refuse and you sign a waver (that if your child gets any eye issues related to passage through the birth canal the hospital is not responsible... DCF will just come to your house  and sign you off they check stuff like living situation and really it's not a big deal  ......HOWEVER  once you have had a report  if they recieve another report in the next 10 years they are up your butt..they make you go to parenting classes they check up on you   it's nuts.... but they can't take your kids without just reason...

2 other thoughts if you home birth and refuse eye oinment the Midwife IS NOT required to report you and they never do...

I'm a pretty big naturalist... I selectivly vaccinate my kids did not get Hep B in the DR or ever (they are 6 and 8 now)  but I'm not sure what would make one refuse the eye ointment?  vagina's are dirty and 80% of men have an affair when their SO is pregnant...leaving the baby subject to blindness...and lastly MOST  GC and clam  are undiagnosed......??? why subject the baby?

Emschick38
by Ali on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I rejected the eye drops with all three of my kids but one was born at home, one was a c-section and the last was in Kansas. I was never reported for anything. Call the hospital and ask them what there policies are, someone may just be saying they report you to scare you. Or you could have one of those weird hospitals that will actually do something.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM
I quoted NYS doh in one of the initial threads, according to that site they do.

Quoting Emschick38:

I rejected the eye drops with all three of my kids but one was born at home, one was a c-section and the last was in Kansas. I was never reported for anything. Call the hospital and ask them what there policies are, someone may just be saying they report you to scare you. Or you could have one of those weird hospitals that will actually do something.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lish2127
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Quoting Mom2jngnc:
the hospital I went to threatened that cps would be called when I hesitated to give consent for the eye drops, just like they threatened me when I said the aids testing was unnecessary...both required by the state
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN