Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did You Reject Eye Drops?

I really feel this is a completely unecessary procedure for my baby. According to the hospital they are "obligated" to report me to child protective services if I so choose to reject the eye drops.

Have any of you chosen to reject the eye drops? Were you reported? What happened?

Thanks@

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Replies (21-30):
moltocomeamore
by New Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:48 AM
Quoting MELRN:

you can refuse and you sign a waver (that if your child gets any eye issues related to passage through the birth canal the hospital is not responsible... DCF will just come to your house  and sign you off they check stuff like living situation and really it's not a big deal  ......HOWEVER  once you have had a report  if they recieve another report in the next 10 years they are up your butt..they make you go to parenting classes they check up on you   it's nuts.... but they can't take your kids without just reason...

2 other thoughts if you home birth and refuse eye oinment the Midwife IS NOT required to report you and they never do...

I'm a pretty big naturalist... I selectivly vaccinate my kids did not get Hep B in the DR or ever (they are 6 and 8 now)  but I'm not sure what would make one refuse the eye ointment?  vagina's are dirty and 80% of men have an affair when their SO is pregnant...leaving the baby subject to blindness...and lastly MOST  GC and clam  are undiagnosed......??? why subject the baby?

Mine isn't, and I can only say this because I am no longer with the guy who got me pregnant&I've been tested since him &haven't been with anyone else since getting pregnant.
I've already talked with my doctor about a modified shot schedule &he is on board with what I want, it's just thehospital that I'm concerned with.
Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM
I have to ask. Where did you find that 80% of men cheat on their wives while pregnant? Because I don't believe its nearly that high. Or that it has anything to do w pregnancy, yes men AND women cheat, but I question that statistic.

Quoting MELRN:

you can refuse and you sign a waver (that if your child gets any eye issues related to passage through the birth canal the hospital is not responsible... DCF will just come to your house  and sign you off they check stuff like living situation and really it's not a big deal  ......HOWEVER  once you have had a report  if they recieve another report in the next 10 years they are up your butt..they make you go to parenting classes they check up on you   it's nuts.... but they can't take your kids without just reason...

2 other thoughts if you home birth and refuse eye oinment the Midwife IS NOT required to report you and they never do...

I'm a pretty big naturalist... I selectivly vaccinate my kids did not get Hep B in the DR or ever (they are 6 and 8 now)  but I'm not sure what would make one refuse the eye ointment?  vagina's are dirty and 80% of men have an affair when their SO is pregnant...leaving the baby subject to blindness...and lastly MOST  GC and clam  are undiagnosed......??? why subject the baby?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jillysmom
by Adele on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Quoting MELRN:

and you got these numbers from where? I really don't doubt some men do but doubt it is that high.

MELRN
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Awhonn-

the number is staggering -- I believe the way they get the number is by compyling of  what is concidered a low level std-- convert from GBS negative to positive--- have a negative GC then convert to positive--theres about 7 things they look at...your Ob doesnt per se tell you   but there are only a certain number of ways to have negative testing early on and positive testing later   --it's an interesting presentation they come around yearly and present--- 

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:26 PM
I still say 80% is overly exxagerated. I googled it. And found 1 article that said its spoken about that 80% cheat but not 1 article had a study. Any studies with articles were listing 10%. Do men AND women cheat, yup. Do 8 out of 10 men go screw someone else cause their wife is pregnant?? Nope.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elwalters77
by Erica on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I didn't. I don't see what the big deal is.

elwalters77
by Erica on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

I don't get refusing them! To me it makes ZERO sense. 

They are admistered to prevent infections from the passage through the birth canal. 

http://childbirth.amuchbetterway.com/newborn-baby-eye-drops-explained/

Me either.

elwalters77
by Erica on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

I also don't know anyone who rejected them. 

You could also follow the links I shared, and private message the moms to see if they did reject them and if so what happened. 

Good idea!

elwalters77
by Erica on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Quoting MELRN:

Ummm, say what now? That cannot be an accurate figure. Even when their wife is not pregnant, I highly doubt 80% of men cheat. Where did you hear that?

elwalters77
by Erica on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Since this question has been asked before and we never found out what happened, would you mind letting us know here if you decline the drops so that the next time this question gets asked we can provide some sort of feed back? Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)