Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

started reading this in my Sunday paper....

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:39 PM
  • 8 Replies

thought this was an intersting read. Although I do need to finish reading it. 

it is vaccine related, so if you are going to post your thoughts, feel free to do so, for the non-regualr posters, please remember that the regulars don't like drama.

http://www.parade.com/health/2012/10/07-why-so-many-parents-are-delaying-vaccines.html

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jillysmom
by Adele on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

It does scare me that other decide not to vaccine their child/ren on time or at all. I do understand it is their right but when it starts making others sick it becomes everyone's problem.

Jillian has and will get all her shots as needed. I have not gotten her the HPV because its still new and the effects down the line arent fully known AND because she doesn't have the need for it yet.

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM
2 moms liked this
I did not read the entire article. I do vaccinate on schedule. I trust my drs info, if I didn't trust his advice he wouldn't be my pediatrician. He has 3 kids very close to the ages of my 3 and he also vaccinates. I don't believe its some big pharamcutical conspiracy like some people. The vaccines are there for a reason.
Sure we can all state wll they weren't there 100 yrs ago but look how many kids died of simple illnesses back then. My dad had polio. He walked w a pretty bad limp as one leg was much shorter than the other.
Know what I always found funny, the same people who will claim extended rear facing is so important and how they say how ignorant it is when people say "oh well I didn't and my kids are fine", well those are the same people who won't vaccinate stating well my kids are fine and I don't vaccinate.
Of course there will always be kids in no car seats who will be fine because they were never in accident just like there will be kids who don't vaccinate will always be fine.
Its a personal choice and I personally don't judge for what others do.I believe we all do what we feel is best for our families and beliefs.
Personally the only place I find people to be so judgemental is in some groups of cafe mom. In real life no one has ever asked me if I extend rear face or vaccinate or cosleep or breastfeed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jillysmom
by Adele on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Cecelia712:

I did not read the entire article. I do vaccinate on schedule. I trust my drs info, if I didn't trust his advice he wouldn't be my pediatrician. He has 3 kids very close to the ages of my 3 and he also vaccinates. I don't believe its some big pharamcutical conspiracy like some people. The vaccines are there for a reason.
Sure we can all state wll they weren't there 100 yrs ago but look how many kids died of simple illnesses back then. My dad had polio. He walked w a pretty bad limp as one leg was much shorter than the other.
Know what I always found funny, the same people who will claim extended rear facing is so important and how people say oh well I didn't and my kids are fine are the same people who won't vaccinate stating well my kids are fine and I don't vaccinate.
Of course there will always be kids in no car seats who will be fine because they were never in accident just like there will be kids who don't vaccinate will always be fine.
Its a personal choice and I personally don't judge for what others do.I believe we all do what we feel is best for our families and beliefs.
Personally the only place I find people to be so judgemental is in some groups of cafe mom. In real life no one has ever asked me if I extend rear face or vaccinate or cosleep or breastfeed.

I agree

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:23 PM

We live up the road from a decent sized older cemetary. The kids have read the dates on the stones, and the number of children is sickening. The fact that so many of them seem to be around the same time, is very telling in my opinion. 

The boys are all vaccinated on schedule. None of them have Hep A as we aren't in a risk group for that, and it's not required. Johnny did get the first HPV at his WC in August, with the second in the series happening in Nov. He did fine. They had him sit and chill for 15 min. after he got the injection. Garrett will have his at his WC next week, unless they are starting boys later than girls. With Johnny we've been waiting for the ins. to cover it. 

I would LOVE to be able to get a flu vaccine. I got H1N1 3 yrs ago, and I wanted to DIE. I have NEVER been that sick before in my life. So needless to day, 4 kids are going in with Garrett next week and they are all gettign flu shots. 

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I don't delay vaccines unless it's necessary to do so.

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM

We space out vaccinations because my oldest nephew and niece had a pretty bad reaction after they got their shots. Their doctor wasn't sure if it was reaction to one of the shots or all of them or a weird reaction to the combination of them, so Hannah went in got one shot was fine, went in a few weeks later got the next one was fine, got the 3rd one and had no issues. My niece that was born a few months after Hannah got hers done the same way. When my twin nephews were born theirs were spaced out no issues. One of my sisters decided she couldn't take that much time off of work so her son got them all at once and had a pretty bad reaction. His doctor said he would not be able to get any other shots because of the reaction to them.  His doctor was pretty mad after he found out about the strange reaction to having all three done in the same day. If he had known that he would not have ordered them for the same day. She was pretty mad that his doctor said she needed to find a new one.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:16 AM
Since i had reaction to mmr, i was nervous for sam to get... Relying on the pack for herd immunity is scary to those of us who cant get certain immunizations. That being said, i dont fully believe (hhhhmmm, open can of worms and drama now) that it should be a personal choice. I think when you knowingly take on a risk to endanger a large group of people, and once a large percent of the herd does not get immunity, the whole herd is in trouble and at risk! If you were just endangering yourself, i think i would have less of an issue. Im always for thinning out the herd based on stupidity.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:17 AM
Fyi sam did get mmr in hopsital (jic) broken into 2.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN