Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Do you think there should be a test...

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:47 PM
  • 34 Replies

to see if some people should be parents or not?

Ya know... we need to take drivers tests, we need to take professional certification tests... we are managed by the government/state for so many "things"... but not parenthood.

I dont mean money, I dont mean material things..
I dont mean educationally or even age.... (or maybe age.. let me know your thoughts..LOL)

I mean priorities, I mean giving of self and time...

Do you think there should be requirements? Or just any old sperm and egg mixing together will do, this is God decsion, not ours?

Just curious....
Please.. no drama... this is a serious question...

by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ncohetero
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:48 PM
No i don't think so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennyanne322
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Yes, there should be. I have come across some parents that have zero common sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Quoting ncohetero:

No i don't think so.

can you elaborate? Just curious why you feel this way...

lish2127
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM

By whose standards? What is a good parent? God gave us free will choice. Unfortunately, some people make bad, ignorant decisions. Sure I think people should be married and done with school before having kids, but I'm still extremely thankful there is no such regulation on our life.

ncohetero
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel some people don't know there full potential as a parent till they are faced with rearing a child. Yes some ppl are morons and never mature enough to be a "good" parent but for those that do a complete 180 just by finding out that they are pregnant and will do anything to be the best parent they could possibly imagine being. For those ppl its unfair.

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting ncohetero:

No i don't think so.

can you elaborate? Just curious why you feel this way...

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Quoting lish2127:

By whose standards? What is a good parent? God gave us free will choice. Unfortunately, some people make bad, ignorant decisions. Sure I think people should be married and done with school before having kids, but I'm still extremely thankful there is no such regulation on our life.

funny, those were not the criteria I had in mind for the test.... 
I was thinking mentally stable. I was thinking maybe drug/ alcohol testing, or some testing for well being psychologically, emotionally... able to put others needs before themselves... stuff like that....
Some common sence stuff... (importance of car seats vs cigarettes... rate 1-10... )

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Oct. 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM
No because who decides what to base the test on? I mean the wrong person grading the test and decides oh no you're Jewish no kids for you.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

No because who decides what to base the test on? I mean the wrong person grading the test and decides oh no you're Jewish no kids for you.

Dont be silly! LOL... Of course the test isnt based in religion, or money or education or marital status.

Who decided what the criteria was for being a good driver? Who decided what the criteria was to be a CPA or a Architect?
Reasonable people... with reasonable questions/criteria.
LOL

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Oct. 19, 2012 at 4:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

Dont be silly! LOL... Of course the test isnt based in religion, or money or education or marital status.

Who decided what the criteria was for being a good driver? Who decided what the criteria was to be a CPA or a Architect?
Reasonable people... with reasonable questions/criteria.
LOL

Tests never start out as something so silly but as the years go by they change. I mean really my permit test consisted of ten questions multiple choice and the test said allowed to miss one question. It was harder for me to get all the documents I needed to get a drivers license than the test itself. ok take ten hours of this driver safety class. practice driving, take driving portion of test.Ok done heres your drivers license.

There really is no leeway in driving, everybody drives on the same side of the road, everybody must abide by the rules of the roads, there is a clear cut definitive right and wrong along with being a CPA or Architect. Being an Architect you must build from the ground up. You cannot have the top of the building be the biggest part of the building. Exits cannot be placed solely on the middle floor.

Many people do believe that in order to be the best parent possible you need to go to church every week. You need to be able tp provide for the child properly on your own. One parent should stay home with the kids. You should not be very young or very old. Quite a few studies show that kids that come from a two parent household do better than a single parent household. All of the things you're saying wouldn't be on the test would have to be because they all impact how a child will be raised.

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Oct. 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting lish2127:

funny, those were not the criteria I had in mind for the test.... 
I was thinking mentally stable. I was thinking maybe drug/ alcohol testing, or some testing for well being psychologically, emotionally... able to put others needs before themselves... stuff like that....
Some common sence stuff... (importance of car seats vs cigarettes... rate 1-10... )

Some people don't develop mental health disorders like PPD until they become pregnant. Some health conditions may cause mental health concerns. Later in life Rheumatoid Arthritis may cause patients to become depressed because they are no longer able to do things they once enjoyed. Same goes for Diabetes. Do we screen people for a full medical history? What if one of the parents don't have access to all of their previous health records? Children who witnessed abuse or were abused are more likley to repeat the cycle is that included?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN