Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Do you think there should be a test...

Posted by   + Show Post

to see if some people should be parents or not?

Ya know... we need to take drivers tests, we need to take professional certification tests... we are managed by the government/state for so many "things"... but not parenthood.

I dont mean money, I dont mean material things..
I dont mean educationally or even age.... (or maybe age.. let me know your thoughts..LOL)

I mean priorities, I mean giving of self and time...

Do you think there should be requirements? Or just any old sperm and egg mixing together will do, this is God decsion, not ours?

Just curious....
Please.. no drama... this is a serious question...

by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Replies (31-34):
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Oct. 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Quoting Kimmiky:

i love, love, LOVE the idea of giving out parenting licenses . . . but in all reality, parenting is one of those things that you just can't control how one does it.  I mean, obviously there are major do's and don'ts of parenting and that would be where child protective services comes in and stuff. . .

but in all seriousness, I wish that someone, some government agency or school district or SOMEONE would give free parenting seminars, and just cover the basics about diapering and nutrition and health factors such as drug and alcohol use and staying active and so on and so forth.  I know sooooo many parents that are in good healthy relationships and just have nooo idea what they are doing to their children!!!! 

BOCES has that  for pregnant teens..... they tried offering it to me. Half a day of my core classes, and then half a day of parenting classes. Mind you my Senior year of HS was English, required "history", and then a boatload of electives to complete the 3 sequences I was going to graduate with. 

Now BOCES also offers early childhood education vocational "training" for Jr's & Sr's. That is what my brothers ex took all of 3 months of and is an "expert" which we see how well that has worked. 

So even parenting classes don't necessarily do the job either.

Now how are you and the family doing? I havent' seen you here in a long time and almost asked in the book group on your reading log :)

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

Kimmiky
by Kimmiky on Nov. 5, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting Kimmiky:

i love, love, LOVE the idea of giving out parenting licenses . . . but in all reality, parenting is one of those things that you just can't control how one does it.  I mean, obviously there are major do's and don'ts of parenting and that would be where child protective services comes in and stuff. . .

but in all seriousness, I wish that someone, some government agency or school district or SOMEONE would give free parenting seminars, and just cover the basics about diapering and nutrition and health factors such as drug and alcohol use and staying active and so on and so forth.  I know sooooo many parents that are in good healthy relationships and just have nooo idea what they are doing to their children!!!! 

BOCES has that  for pregnant teens..... they tried offering it to me. Half a day of my core classes, and then half a day of parenting classes. Mind you my Senior year of HS was English, required "history", and then a boatload of electives to complete the 3 sequences I was going to graduate with. 

Now BOCES also offers early childhood education vocational "training" for Jr's & Sr's. That is what my brothers ex took all of 3 months of and is an "expert" which we see how well that has worked. 

Now how are you and the family doing? I havent' seen you here in a long time and almost asked in the book group on your reading log :)

we have been well, just busy.  Also, we no longer have internet in our home so I can only access it from places like the library and my MIL's.  I feel bad that my activity has been so low, but it is what it is.  I do miss everyone though.

My boy was diagnosed with autism this summer, so we've been trying to figure out what that means for our family.  I guess i wasn't exactly surprised to get the diagnosis, but it doesn't mean we exactly celebrated. . .

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Nov. 5, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Quoting Kimmiky:

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

we have been well, just busy.  Also, we no longer have internet in our home so I can only access it from places like the library and my MIL's.  I feel bad that my activity has been so low, but it is what it is.  I do miss everyone though.

My boy was diagnosed with autism this summer, so we've been trying to figure out what that means for our family.  I guess i wasn't exactly surprised to get the diagnosis, but it doesn't mean we exactly celebrated. . .

I know what you mean. We cried when we got John's dx. Ours was out of relief by that point. ((hugs)) 

Stop by the library more often.... lol we miss you.

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Def stop by library often . Was less then happy when we got SAMs Dix but it explained a lot .
There are good auntie groups on cm tii

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting Kimmiky:

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

I know what you mean. We cried when we got John's dx. Ours was out of relief by that point. ((hugs)) 

Stop by the library more often.... lol we miss you.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN