Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welcome Back! A Word from CafeMom on Hurricane Sandy!

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi all,

We hope that all of you who have been impacted by Hurricane Sandy are starting to recover and get back to normal. There are so many sad stories out there and our hearts go out to everyone dealing with this disaster.

Many of us at CafeMom have been impacted with the loss of power, damages to our homes, and many day to day challenges related to our families, long gas lines, and even keeping the kids occupied with no school and no heat. Thankfully, everyone at CafeMom is OK and working to get things back to normal. Our office just got power over the weekend and we’ll all be back to work on Monday morning.

As you no doubt noticed, CafeMom has been down since Monday night. Hurricane Sandy caused serious flooding in our data center which is located in lower Manhattan. Because the electrical systems were all underwater, the building  was forced to shut down power to avoid fire and permanent damage. For a whole range of reasons, it took longer than expected to even be able to restore power via a generator. We are so thrilled our tech team has been able to get the site working again.

This turned out to be the once in a lifetime “perfect storm” for us – but we are taking extensive steps to ensure it does not ever happen again. We didn’t like losing touch with all of you. We'd like to sincerely thank all of you for your patience – we were following many of your conversations on our Facebook pages and felt so lucky to have such an incredible group of moms.

We're happy to be back in action and hope you are too!

Sincerely,

group hugEveryone at CafeMom

by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Nov. 4, 2012 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

We're glad CM is back!

Groove
by Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
i'm more concerned about your families being safe! sure, it sucked not having my vent-outlet. But i knew a lot of cafemom's employees lived in ny. I hope yall get the help yall need to survive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lunabella79
by Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 10:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Here's something I posted in my ddg:

Cafemom,

Through this site I have met some amazing women and made some great friends. The cafemom ladies were there for me through my miscarriages and through my pregnancies. But now the cafemom ladies have proved to me once again how wonderful and amazing they are. Through this past week of devestation and destruction caused by hurricane Sandy, many CM members came together to support and help one another. In this group alone we had several moms affected by the hurricane, including me. Though your site was down we were able to keep tabs on each other through FB. When a few of the moms heard that some of us needed help due to the storm, these incredible women made sure to help us out. A generator was found for one of our mods who had no power and was freezing in her home with her 4 month old baby. Another mom was sent formula, diapers, etc because all the stores by her were closed due to the power outages. All I needed were batteries for my flashlights (which no store on Long Island had in stock) and I also received 5 packages from these remarkable women. I even had one member offer to buy me a generator so my kids would not be cold (that grand gesture I just couldn't accept). Because of the generosity and sympathy of these ladies, I am paying their kindness forward by collecting donations in my home to distribute to local Sandy shelters. Yet again the cm ladies amazed me by mailing donations from other states to help with my efforts.

I am in tears right now thinking of what these women did and how much everything they have done is appreciated by me and everyone they have helped. You had to see the faces of the Sandy victims who I met today while delivering clothing, formula, food, etc. They were all grateful as well.

Thank you Cafemom for providing us mommies with a place to make friends and support one another. And a HUGE thank you to all the ladies who have always been there for me and my family. You ladies ROCK!!!!

Xoxoxo,

Tricia
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KymberleeAnn
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm so happy to be back on CM, to reconnect with all the wonderful mom's. this the most special social network in the world. I love you all and I'm happy that you are all getting things back to normal. Being a NY mom myself, There surely are so many sad stories of death and lost I'm happy to hear that no one from Cafemom got hurt.

Thank You all at Cafemom for working tirelessly to get the site back up and running again.

For all the NY mom's that were adversely affected by hurricane Sandy I hope that you all will get your lives together very soon, and that things will get back to normal for you and your families.

Wishing you all the very best.

Love KymberleeAnn

Cafe Beth
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Some employees are doing well and others are still recovering but thankfully everyone is safe. Thank you for being concerned. I'm glad you're here!

Quoting Groove:

i'm more concerned about your families being safe! sure, it sucked not having my vent-outlet. But i knew a lot of cafemom's employees lived in ny. I hope yall get the help yall need to survive.

Cafe Beth
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 10:40 PM
2 moms liked this

That is so wonderful lunabella79! Thank you for sharing that with us. It is so comforting knowing that others help out in times of need. I'm so happy our members came together for you ladies.

I'm also glad you're safe and back on the site!

hugs

Quoting lunabella79:

Here's something I posted in my ddg:

Cafemom,

Through this site I have met some amazing women and made some great friends. The cafemom ladies were there for me through my miscarriages and through my pregnancies. But now the cafemom ladies have proved to me once again how wonderful and amazing they are. Through this past week of devestation and destruction caused by hurricane Sandy, many CM members came together to support and help one another. In this group alone we had several moms affected by the hurricane, including me. Though your site was down we were able to keep tabs on each other through FB. When a few of the moms heard that some of us needed help due to the storm, these incredible women made sure to help us out. A generator was found for one of our mods who had no power and was freezing in her home with her 4 month old baby. Another mom was sent formula, diapers, etc because all the stores by her were closed due to the power outages. All I needed were batteries for my flashlights (which no store on Long Island had in stock) and I also received 5 packages from these remarkable women. I even had one member offer to buy me a generator so my kids would not be cold (that grand gesture I just couldn't accept). Because of the generosity and sympathy of these ladies, I am paying their kindness forward by collecting donations in my home to distribute to local Sandy shelters. Yet again the cm ladies amazed me by mailing donations from other states to help with my efforts.

I am in tears right now thinking of what these women did and how much everything they have done is appreciated by me and everyone they have helped. You had to see the faces of the Sandy victims who I met today while delivering clothing, formula, food, etc. They were all grateful as well.

Thank you Cafemom for providing us mommies with a place to make friends and support one another. And a HUGE thank you to all the ladies who have always been there for me and my family. You ladies ROCK!!!!

Xoxoxo,

Tricia

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)