Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hey ladies just a heads up if you move and trust dmv to change your voter registration...

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

I've moved 4 times in my life without a problem until this year. 

for me to vote today took over 12 hours, multiple phone calls, a trip to a judge for a court order and a lot of headaches all because NYSDMV chose to only update my mailing address with voter registration and NOT my voter registration address. I could not vote.

I'll save the long story as this started 2 weeks ago with what was bad info from BOE.

end result was that myself and about 20 other people had to see a judge tonight to explain why we needed permission to vote in our districts. The judge told me he saw people all day long at the other 2 sessions for the same issue. Not sure if this is a statewide issue or local to my county..I mailed my change of address form to albany I think.  but thought i'd warn that if you move.. make sure your voter registration is updated and dont' assume that DMV will get it right. I know I'll go to the BOE office from now on. what a mess.

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maman9
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Vote absentee.

keljo05
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:37 AM
Which may have been an option but due to the issue with dmv I was not listed as active in any district...so therefore was not able to vote absentee either.

The entire issue was because DMV did not properly update my information.

Quoting Maman9:

Vote absentee.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maman9
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Some red tape! I was afraid we would fall into that category, since my child is in college in GA and I had two moves. My initial address was my old office building which was sold to Columbia University, then demolished. My apartment building in Bronx was closed for renovations, so I decided to play it safe and started worrying the Board of Elections in August. I moved downtown, yet it is only temporary so I did not change the address from uptown. I get forwarded mail, and I did not want to take chances. I got helpful clerks on the telephone in all but one situation. We returned our form to request the absentee ballot by the end of September. We got the absentee ballots by mid-October, returning them by the 21st! I was so glad we had that done once Sandy hit. I had alread planned to be in Atlanta until this week.

keljo05
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Since I'd never had a problem before I never thought to check. I don't remember the conversation I had with my mom that made me check. However when I did it was 3 days too late to change anything.

it was an adventure to say the least, lol

Quoting Maman9:

Some red tape! I was afraid we would fall into that category, since my child is in college in GA and I had two moves. My initial address was my old office building which was sold to Columbia University, then demolished. My apartment building in Bronx was closed for renovations, so I decided to play it safe and started worrying the Board of Elections in August. I moved downtown, yet it is only temporary so I did not change the address from uptown. I get forwarded mail, and I did not want to take chances. I got helpful clerks on the telephone in all but one situation. We returned our form to request the absentee ballot by the end of September. We got the absentee ballots by mid-October, returning them by the 21st! I was so glad we had that done once Sandy hit. I had alread planned to be in Atlanta until this week.

buffalove23
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 4:49 PM
I had the same problem...I voted but I'm not sure what type of ballot it was called. Thanks a lot DMV.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
keljo05
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM

probably an affadavit ballot, thats what I was supposed to do initially before the day became such fun, lol

where in NY are you? I'm finding it fascinating that I'm hearing from a lot of people across the state that this happened to.

Quoting buffalove23:

I had the same problem...I voted but I'm not sure what type of ballot it was called. Thanks a lot DMV.

buffalove23
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:42 PM
That's it! Lol I couldn't think of the word for the life of me. I'm in lockport in WNY. It happened to my s.o. and I. We had to push to be able to vote with the affidavit ballot, they originally said we couldn't vote.

Quoting keljo05:

probably an affadavit ballot, thats what I was supposed to do initially before the day became such fun, lol

where in NY are you? I'm finding it fascinating that I'm hearing from a lot of people across the state that this happened to.

Quoting buffalove23:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
keljo05
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:49 PM

interesting.. i'm down in the southwest tier .. dmv is doing good.

I contacted 2 local papers about this. I think its so interesting that there was this problem and that a lot of people probably didn't vote because they woulnd't know that there were options.

Quoting buffalove23:

That's it! Lol I couldn't think of the word for the life of me. I'm in lockport in WNY. It happened to my s.o. and I. We had to push to be able to vote with the affidavit ballot, they originally said we couldn't vote.

Quoting keljo05:

Quoting buffalove23:

Jillysmom
by Adele on Nov. 8, 2012 at 8:57 PM

glad I didnt have issues

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM
I couldn't vote after I married because of confusion w my name change. They told me I didn't exist. I don't remember what I had to do to fix it as it was 16 yrs ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)