Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Toy Swap for Christmas?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM
  • 11 Replies

So, I got to thinking about Christmas this year, and mostly how in god's name we're going to afford it.  And then I started thinking about my nieces and nephews and how so-and-so would totally love this toy that my dd has and how her brother would so love this toy that my ds has ( neither of which they play with anymore).  And I got to thinking, wouldn't it just be great if we could just like, trade for christmas?  Instead of buying toys ( which they probably already have or wouldn't like ), we could just pick something that we already have and then trade it. 

But then, do I sound cheap suggesting this?  My kids are 5,3, and 18 months and their cousins are 7, 4 and 3.  So . . . they're probably still young enough to not really care if they don't get "new" stuff, but I just wondered what everyone else thought about this.

Am I being cheap or creative?

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jillysmom
by Adele on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I think its a cool idea and if the others are in similar money issues it would be helpful.

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Id say its more creative. The 7 yr old may not like that idea but for the younger ones I don't think it would be a bad idea.
I must admit I don't really buy my 3 yr old or 1 yr old too much as they bcouldnt care less after a few hours. I spend more on my 12 yr old. So I do see your point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lish2127
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I love the idea! I'd love to do the same thing, but don't have anyone to do it with.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I think maybe it would be better to ask your relatives then us. If money is tight perhaps they have some suggestions too. You could bring that up... they may have another idea.
Perhaps you could set a dollar limit for each child. etc.
I dont think it would fly in our family... but, I think suggesting it to yours sounds like you are in a bind this year... and let see what can be done to ease the fincial distress of the holidays.
maybe you could suggest a cookie swap... a PJ swap... these are inexpensive gifts... along WITH the toy trade...

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I'd say it's being creative. IMO, kids get far too much these days that swapping is a great idea.

elwalters77
by Erica on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I like the idea! What do you think their reaction will be?

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Defident lay chat with the family. I know my kids loved the toys at everyone else's house but if it was here forgetaboutit.
The pj exchange or even a book/ movie exchange.
Another thought family gifts rather than individuals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimmiky
by Kimmiky on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Quoting elwalters77:

I like the idea! What do you think their reaction will be?

That's what is keeping my mouth shut for the moment because my SIL is like Kristin Wiig's character on SNL . . . ya know she has to one up you on everything, even if it's telling everyone how poor you are. . . and when I suggested in years past that we didn't have a lot of extra income this year and that we wouldn't be getting any extravagent gifts and do you mind doing this instead, she was like, well, I've already bought My gifts for YOUR kids . . .  So i don't know how well this is going to over with her.  I guess i wanted to ask you all in here because you all seem level headed and this way if I get shunned from my family for being poor I'll know it's them being jerks and not me being i don't know . . . cheap.

Kimmiky
by Kimmiky on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Defident lay chat with the family. I know my kids loved the toys at everyone else's house but if it was here forgetaboutit.
The pj exchange or even a book/ movie exchange.
Another thought family gifts rather than individuals.

I like the movie and book exchange, but they belong to a movie club, so they have a bunch of movies already, i don't think that i could find anything that they don't already have.  Also, they rent movies for free almost everyday at the Family Video near their house.  I thought about getting them a board game or two that they could all play together, but I can't really picture them playing it.  Their kids are really active and a few weeks ago I tried having a mini pajama party and the two of them couldn't sit long enough to listen to a simple picture book.

Kimmiky
by Kimmiky on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

I think maybe it would be better to ask your relatives then us. If money is tight perhaps they have some suggestions too. You could bring that up... they may have another idea.
Perhaps you could set a dollar limit for each child. etc.
I dont think it would fly in our family... but, I think suggesting it to yours sounds like you are in a bind this year... and let see what can be done to ease the fincial distress of the holidays.
maybe you could suggest a cookie swap... a PJ swap... these are inexpensive gifts... along WITH the toy trade...

I did that last year, when they were one and three.  I had those Christmas tins and filled them with homemade treats that I knew the kids would enjoy.  Their parents did not appreciate that.  They think that kids should get toys.

But i just look around and I KNOW that I have "perfect" gifts for everyone jsut sitting around my house that my kids don't even play with.  Everytime that my nephew comes over, he totally monopolizes those Thomas trains that my son has, and I know that he has some at his house.  So I could totally stand to part with a few pieces of track and a train, which I know my nephew would love and that my son wouldn't even miss. 

And my daughter wouldn't miss a plastic teapot and some of her cups, or even a few Barbie outfits and accessories which I know that my Niece would totally love too, since she is much more into all that pink girly stuff than my daughter is. 

And for the seven year old, my son has all these hotwheel cars that he would also not miss.

So for me, it seems like the perfect solution.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)