Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

A little early but do you...

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM
Liz
  • 8 Replies

celebrate St. Nicholas Day?

Saint Nicholas Day

When : Always December 6

St. Nicholas Day is today. Yes, there really was a christian Saint Nicholas. He lived in the country of Greece, just a couple hundred years after the birth of Christ. This day is in honor of Saint Nicholas and his life.

Saint Nicholas became a priest, and later, a Bishop of the early Catholic Church. True to the christian concept of giving up belongings and following Christ, St. Nicholas gave up all of his belongings. He was well known for giving to needy people, especially children. There are may stories and tales of him helping out children in need.

The practice of hanging up stockings originated with Saint Nicholas. As the ancient legend goes, Saint Nicholas was known to throw small bags of gold coins into the open windows of poor homes. After one bag of gold fell into the stocking of a child, news got around. Children soon began hanging their stocking by their chimneys "in hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there".

It wasn't until the 1800's that the spirit of St. Nicholas' life evolved into the creation of Santa Claus. And, this happened  in America. Santa Claus emerged (or evolved) from the stories and legends of St. Nicholas. Santa Claus was kind and generous to children. Unlike "St. Nick", Santa Claus is largely a non-religious character.

by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:52 AM

We have never celebrated St. Nick.... but we use lots of the traditions in our Christmas celebration.

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:53 AM

My parents did it when we were little but I always forget with my kids.

powow65
by Kim on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Neat. Idk there was a holiday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elwalters77
by Erica on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Never heard about it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shelly126
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:59 PM
We always knew of St Nicholas day and I wouldn't say we "celebrated" it as much as remembered it and said a prayer to St. Nicholas on his day as we have with many saints on their day. No I am not Greek but my husband is Eastern Orthodox and my grandparents (who my mother and I lived with) we very religious and went to church everyday and I went to Catholic school so we were always aware of Holy Days that weren't popular!
I have twin boys, one named Nicholas and they were born on December 6th, His name day!
Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM
We "celebrated" as far as my son is named nicholas and always bought him a little something for "his day"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nanalyn1
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM

no

robynjavan7104
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 2:12 AM
I will be this year since my son started his communion classes and told me about it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)