Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Teachers Calls

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM
  • 16 Replies

Forgive me if I've posted about this:

I got a call that Sam had told another little boy at recess "I hate you!"
They were playing games during recess. Sam's team lost. Other boys team won. So I got phone call after school that I needed to talk to Sam.
The teacher talked to him after recess. Told him it was mean, not nice, made him apologise... etc.. Other little boy, didn't cry or anything (he is youngest boy of 3). She said to me "hate is a 4 letter word'. (which I keep thinking about!)

But the more I think about the ridiculousness of this phone call, the more upset I get.
Really? These boys are 6 years old. Hate is NOT a 4 letter word... F*ck is, S#it is... The boy didn't even care. Sure, it wasn't nice.. but Sam was reprimanded at school. I have to get a phone call about this? Do I have to talk to him AGAIN? Is this really somthing that warrants intervention?!

A GF of mine got a call from the school her son was playing with some other boys on the bus and her son accidentally hit one of the boys with his hat. Not mean (as told by the school) just playing around. The other boy was not hurt, he was fine. BUT, they wanted my GF to talk to her son about not swinging his hat around. How he needs to sit quietly on the bus. He is 6.

What do you think?

Do you think schools are fogetting that kids are KIDS? That they are 6 years old?!

I just think this stuff is so pointless.... why are they worrying about THIS kind of stuff???
Is there something I'm missing?

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I think it's ridiculous! A phone call was most definitely not warranted. I find it ABSURD!!!! Kids will be kids and say things to one another and hate is one of those words they like to use. It's not like he dropped the F Bomb. 

The teacher told him it's not nice to say. For me that would have been the end of the discussion!

They take things way to far and the things they need to address get swept under the rug!

elwalters77
by Erica on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM
2 moms liked this
We have become too politically correct for our own good! We are creating a society if whiny, entitled sissies! Kids say things like this because they don't know how to express their feelings or frustrations. It's not like he physically hurt or threatened the child!

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

I think it's ridiculous! A phone call was most definitely not warranted. I find it ABSURD!!!! Kids will be kids and say things to one another and hate is one of those words they like to use. It's not like he dropped the F Bomb. 

The teacher told him it's not nice to say. For me that would have been the end of the discussion!

They take things way to far and the things they need to address get swept under the rug!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

That's a bit much.

Last year, Naiya and a friend were chasing each other around outside and in the excitement of the moment, Naiya blurted out "I'm going to kill you." She didn't mean it, literally, of course but apparently it scared the boy. He told the teacher who called me and sent Naiya to the VP.  I never heard anything after it but I did tell her that she can't use that phrase. She probably should have said "I'm going to get you."

LucyHarper
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:08 PM

If my kids were telling other kids at school that they hated them, I would want to know. It's rude, mean, and he's being a poor sport, telling a kid he hates him because he lost a game. It's also dangerous to be moving around and swinging things on the bus. Kids need to be seated still when on the bus, it's safety. They are kids, but they are growing up, so when they make mistakes, they need to be corrected. Personally I don't want my kids going around thinking its okay to say "I hate you" to people when they lose at something and to not behave on the bus.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I think this is a case of if the teacher handled it a note home would have worked. Then you could just reinforce that it's not a nice thing to say. 

Not phone call material,

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM
I think a note would have been better. But some kids will forget to give mom or dad a note especially if it's because they did something wrong. I think the Bigger issue is learning not to be sore loser. Hannah has had a few issues like that. We talk about it and how it would make her feel if a friend said that to her.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

I think a note would have been better. But some kids will forget to give mom or dad a note especially if it's because they did something wrong. I think the Bigger issue is learning not to be sore loser. Hannah has had a few issues like that. We talk about it and how it would make her feel if a friend said that to her.

I will Sam say is usually a pretty good loser...and due to his p/t issues he is slow and uncoordinated.. and loses often..LOL... so this was the part of the story I was surprised at... LOL
I dont know what happened.. but again, I felt like the 3rd time he was being talked to (I forgot to mention since this was during recess, the teacher didnt see it, the lunch aide told her the story, she corrected Sam at the time.. and then the teacher talked to him).  Then I mentioned it.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LucyHarper:

If my kids were telling other kids at school that they hated them, I would want to know. It's rude, mean, and he's being a poor sport, telling a kid he hates him because he lost a game. It's also dangerous to be moving around and swinging things on the bus. Kids need to be seated still when on the bus, it's safety. They are kids, but they are growing up, so when they make mistakes, they need to be corrected. Personally I don't want my kids going around thinking its okay to say "I hate you" to people when they lose at something and to not behave on the bus.

I failed to mention that these kids are in the collab class. My son has aspergers, this other little boy has pdd-nos. These are children with developmental delays. Really, there are so many other issues to be dealing with... (I think the regulars in the group just got a clearer picture).

Yes, my son did act like a poor sport, but I will say socially he is quite delayed. Less then a year ago I had a post about how he wouldnt even talk to people he didnt know... LOL... we've come a long way. He was corrected 2x's and then I guess I felt a call home was a bit much. IF it happened 2x's.. sure. If the boy was upset, sure.
I also replied in another responde that my son is usually a really good loser. He has tons of p/t and o/t issues and is slow and uncoordinated. He is also about the size of  4 year old in a 6-7 year old class, so he loses A LOT! LOL... Even in video games, typically he will say.. "you win some, you lose some... " or "it's ok, it's just a silly game."

As far as not behaving on the bus, again... I dont think swinging a hat is a big deal...
I think we are making mountains out of molehills here...

I can remember being told WAY worse things then I hate you... and Im perfectly fine.. I think we dont let kids be kids and figure things out for themselves. Honestly, I think THESE behaviors are typical 5-6 year old behaviors... and it makes me sad that these are sort of unrealistic expectations for children.

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:14 PM
Quoting SamMom912:

Oh geeze three times its excessive.
Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:04 PM
I agree, its excessive. He didn't hit the kid.
When nicholas was in 3rd grade his teacher called me every day for the first 4 days of school.
He was playing the girls braids in front of him at story time. She was black and had her hair in braids with those little hard hair ties thaat end in a marble? He liked her braids. She didn't mind. They had been in the same class since first. But the teacher didn't approve. Ok. I asked the teacher if he told nic to stop, yes. I asked if nic stoppedN he said yes. So then I said so why are you calling me??
Day 2-
He runds his fingers along the wall while walking down the hall. Ok and?? It was not age appropriate. I disagreed said it was fine but yet again I asked the teacher if he spoke w him. He said yes. I asked if nicholas stopped. He said es. So again, why are you calling me.
By day 4 of stupid calls I said look, when he misbehaves at home do I call you??? You correct him, he stops, what do you want????
I told him unless he's. Hurting kids or swearing don't call me again for nonsense.
I agree, they make the smallest thing a big deal. Yet at 7th grade my son is picked on and his things broken every day, and what do they do? Nothing! But yeah call me because my son touched a wall!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)