Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Forgive me if I've posted about this:

I got a call that Sam had told another little boy at recess "I hate you!"
They were playing games during recess. Sam's team lost. Other boys team won. So I got phone call after school that I needed to talk to Sam.
The teacher talked to him after recess. Told him it was mean, not nice, made him apologise... etc.. Other little boy, didn't cry or anything (he is youngest boy of 3). She said to me "hate is a 4 letter word'. (which I keep thinking about!)

But the more I think about the ridiculousness of this phone call, the more upset I get.
Really? These boys are 6 years old. Hate is NOT a 4 letter word... F*ck is, S#it is... The boy didn't even care. Sure, it wasn't nice.. but Sam was reprimanded at school. I have to get a phone call about this? Do I have to talk to him AGAIN? Is this really somthing that warrants intervention?!

A GF of mine got a call from the school her son was playing with some other boys on the bus and her son accidentally hit one of the boys with his hat. Not mean (as told by the school) just playing around. The other boy was not hurt, he was fine. BUT, they wanted my GF to talk to her son about not swinging his hat around. How he needs to sit quietly on the bus. He is 6.

What do you think?

Do you think schools are fogetting that kids are KIDS? That they are 6 years old?!

I just think this stuff is so pointless.... why are they worrying about THIS kind of stuff???
Is there something I'm missing?

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Replies (11-16):
Kmary
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:39 PM
2 moms liked this

To answer your general question, YES YES YES, I think schools are forgetting that kids are kids.  Between the getting rid of recess and  pushing more and more academic stuff younger and younger, I think they are moving in the opposite direction they should be going.  Want a kid focus better at their desk?   Let them get more recess and fresh air, not less. 

bcauseimthemom
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that it was an over reaction about the I hate you. On the other hand, the other child should be sitting quietly and behaving on the bus.  Six years old or sixteen... if the driver gets distracted and crashes the bus because of kids misbehaving I would be one pissed off parent.  The children's safety comes first, not the excuse that "he is just six", boys will be boys, etc, etc... that is all bs. Children need to learn how to behave appropriately in different situations and not just given free reign to behave like heathens just because they are children. That is where responsible parenting comes in.

robynjavan7104
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:03 AM
I don't think a phone call was needed, I honestly don't think a note was needed for that. Kids are kids and they say things like that all the time. When I volunteered in my sons school in the first grade classroom, kids would say I hate you and I'm not your friend all the time. Guess what 5 minutes later they were best friends again, If I heard it I would say that's not nice and make them apologize, the teacher did the same thing. Even when I worked in a daycare we never sent notes home for that.
The other day my son collided with another boy during recess, the principal seen it and told them they need to be more careful and sent them on there way. There was no phone call or note, I only know because my son told me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jillysmom
by Adele on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this

over kill, maybe if it was something getting out of hand then yes but a one tie thing no. I have kids do that the hat thing and others all the time, I would be blue in the face if I talked to every parent. I just tell the parent of the kid who got hit,XX accidently got hit by a hat while playing, I checdked him and he was fine, I talkd to them both about playing on the bus and its dropped.

elwalters77
by Erica on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Yes!

Quoting Kmary:

To answer your general question, YES YES YES, I think schools are forgetting that kids are kids.  Between the getting rid of recess and  pushing more and more academic stuff younger and younger, I think they are moving in the opposite direction they should be going.  Want a kid focus better at their desk?   Let them get more recess and fresh air, not less. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dina82
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Omg yes yes that's insane !! Yes they do forget they are 6 and think they are more like 16 -_- I had the same thing happen To my 6 year old son !! He was giving away his snacks ( fishys) and she right me a letter how it was going everytwhere else excepts his mouth ..really !??????????? He's 6 and he's sharing lol then she goes on about how at reading time he was reading to loud with his partner -__- really ?? Then she goes on how his behavior is to much for a 6 year old !!! Then that just got on my last nerve so I wrote back and told her he is acting normal for a 6 year old and do not waste your time writing me letters like this cause you are wasting your time !!!! I also added if he cursed or took off his clothes or hit someone then you can start writing me a letter or getting phone calls .... Other than that take care of that in the class room don't waste my time with bullshit !!! Ugghhh teachers these days !!!!!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)