Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

My TV issue (long) Update 1&2

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:02 AM
  • 18 Replies

We bought a 55 inch LG LED last Febuary. We haven't had this TV for one year and so far it has broken on us twice!!!

The first time it happened was within a month of buying the TV. Then it happened a month ago. 

The local store we bought the TV from picked it up two weeks ago. So we've been with out a TV in our living room for two weeks.

I've spoken with them a few times in two weeks. I told them I was fed up with the TV. The guy then proceeded to tell me, I do have the waranty and if it's the same problem three times LG will replace the TV as it's considered a lemon. So I stop in last week and he tells me the TV repair place is waiting on a response from LG as it's the main board and too expenisve to fix so they were waiting on LG to okay a new tv. I stop in that same week and then he proceeds to tell me they are going to fix it. I should have a defiite answer by Thursday or Friday. Well I stop in Friday and he said he's still waiting on the TV repair place to fix it.

SO, yesterday I get a Vocie mail from the TV repair place who has my TV. He wanted to tell me EXACTLY what was going on with my TV. And oh boy did I get an ear full and lets just say I am beyond pissed.

The TV was refurbished, not brand new. He told me where to look to see how it's brand new or refurbished. I was told it was brand new and factory over stock. He also told me I do NOT have a warranty on the TV as it's only a 90 day warranty on a refurbished TV. HOWEVER I paid 100 dollars for an extra 3 year warranty. Where is that warranty and where is that 100 dollars? Oh and there is so much more but I don't have the time to type it out. 

Anyway, I call Ron on lunch and tell him all of this. Now Ron, is super pissed, He calls the place where we got the TV and nonchalantly asks the guy about our TV and the guy tells him he's just waiting on the truck to get there with the TV. Ron knowing full well that the TV is NOT fixed, it's NOT on the truck, nor is it under warranty and that the place we bought it from was just NOW trying to purchase the warranty for the TV as to cover the main board to fix the TV which is a 500 dollar fix. Ron let lose and big time on the guy. Now that is NOT Ron. Ron is a very laid back, kind and caring person. 

I stop in after work and wont take any bull shit from him. I called him on every single lie since the day I bought that TV. Tell him I don't want it anymore, I just want our money back so we can go buy a TV at a reputable place and one that's actually new and works. He says he can't do that as it's been over six months. I then tell him he has 24 hours to fix this problem or I am calling our lawyer followed up by a call with the attorney General. 

His tune changed and he offered us a 55 inch Samsung TV brand new and promised that it will be here no later than Thursday this week. I made him put that in writing, sign it and date it.

I have all paperwork with said TV. I have plenty of proof as to their deception and the TV repair place has e mails concerning this TV and regards in to just now buying a warranty that we bought not even a year ago.  They said they will do anything they possibly can to help us. I also called the TV repair place and asked them if this new TV they are offering is a good deal. They told me yes but to make sure it's brand new before we take it. 

TV repair place has been so very helpful. So much so I am going to buy them a Thank you card and send it to them. They gave me so much information on that place it's ridiuclous.

This is the very last time I will ever do business with a small local company. 

**UPDATE** 

I got a call from TV City, our new TV is in. I told him we would pick it up when Ron got home from work. That will be within an hour and a half or so.

I''l let you all know how it goes afterwords! Wish me luck!

**UPDATE 2***

We now have a brand new 55 inch Samsung LED. It's brand new, this we made sure of. It works and it's great to be able to watch TV in our living room once again!

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
robynjavan7104
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:28 AM
Wow, that sucks. I hope the Samsung tv is a brand new one. I had that happened to me once, I bought a heater and within the week it wasn't working right. When my husband really looked at it he said it was refurbished even though the guy told me it was new. When I went to bring it back I made a big deal about and they gave me a better brand that costs more and I made sure it was a new one. After that I only shop at big name stores.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Wow shame on that small business... I do try to shop at small stores.. Bt wow... That is scary! So glad the repair place helped you... Maybe cookies wot go with that thank you! Lol 

You know it is serious when Ron looses hos temper! Like my Hubby... When he getts pissed look out... And call the paperr! It is a rare occurance! 

powow65
by Kim on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Whoa! ((hugs))
Wow I'm so sorry.
That's some total BULL S***!!!!!

Don't lie, you can't give a tv, give back the $$$$.
Smfh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:35 AM

That sucks! This is why Patrick does all most all of my big electronic purchases. 

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Damn!

When I lived in Queens there used to be an electronics store that sold all sorts of items listed as brand new. I just could never bring myself to trust them.

Good for you for not backing down, Chris!

elwalters77
by Erica on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, but please don't write off all small business because of one bad apple.

BTW, we had nothing but promblems with a Phillips TV. Might as well have flushed $2000 down the toilet (that's what it cost 6 1/2 years ago for one of those nice big flat screens). I did vow to never to business with Phillips again and now we do a lot of research before buying any large purchases. We are very happy with our Samsung.

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM
I'm not leaving the store without him opening the box looking at it and having him hook it up and all.

Quoting robynjavan7104:

Wow, that sucks. I hope the Samsung tv is a brand new one. I had that happened to me once, I bought a heater and within the week it wasn't working right. When my husband really looked at it he said it was refurbished even though the guy told me it was new. When I went to bring it back I made a big deal about and they gave me a better brand that costs more and I made sure it was a new one. After that I only shop at big name stores.
Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM
I'm thankful too. Without them I would still be getting the run around. Cookies are a good idea ill have to find the time fast to make them some.

Quoting SamMom912:

Wow shame on that small business... I do try to shop at small stores.. Bt wow... That is scary! So glad the repair place helped you... Maybe cookies wot go with that thank you! Lol 

You know it is serious when Ron looses hos temper! Like my Hubby... When he getts pissed look out... And call the paperr! It is a rare occurance! 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Quoting elwalters77:

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, but please don't write off all small business because of one bad apple.

BTW, we had nothing but promblems with a Phillips TV. Might as well have flushed $2000 down the toilet (that's what it cost 6 1/2 years ago for one of those nice big flat screens). I did vow to never to business with Phillips again and now we do a lot of research before buying any large purchases. We are very happy with our Samsung.

we had a  phillips part of stereo that was crap... I dont trust that name either.
Im a tried and true panasonic or sony at this point. LOL

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting elwalters77:

we had a  phillips part of stereo that was crap... I dont trust that name either.
Im a tried and true panasonic or sony at this point. LOL

I'm not a fan of Phillips or Sony which is why we went LG. I've had nothing but luck with LG up until now. My fridge is an LG all of my cell phones were LG. 

In any case I honestly don't think it's an LG problem but the people we bought it from. They know damn well they sold us a shitty TV.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)